Model Cars Magazine Forum

When Did Directional Signals Become Mandatory In The US?

When I got my drivers license in 1960 we had turn signals on the Plymouth we learned to drive, but had to use arm signals to pass the driving test. Thus they taught to use arm signals in the class. Most everyone still used the arm signals at that time. Richard

Ahhh, the '56 Chevy,....Had a Bel Air 2-door hardtop, white/pinecrest green - especially loved how the left rear taillamp doubled as a gas door.

I didn't mention that it was 1975 & the car was a year older than me. But it was great fun, you could alwasy tell an old timer at a gas station they knew right where the gas opening was .

Use signals???? It would also be nice if they would quit using them when they are done! How many times have you driven down the road and some idiot is churning along with a blinker on. :blink: What, you are going around the world to the left?? :angry: You never know if they are going to suddenly change lanes or not. Why can't we all just pay attention to driving! Well, that is my soapbox entry for the day.

Use signals???? It would also be nice if they would quit using them when they are done! How many times have you driven down the road and some idiot is churning along with a blinker on. :blink: What, you are going around the world to the left?? :angry: You never know if they are going to suddenly change lanes or not. Why can't we all just pay attention to driving! Well, that is my soapbox entry for the day.

Well, is that any worse than someone flicking on say, right turnsignals, then turning left right in front of you? Happened to me this morning, as I was out biking--SCARY moment!

Art

Using turn signals in my state is a law, however I really don't know how well they enforce it as thousands of drivers don't use them. I guess it all part of "horray for me screw you" driving habits that many people have today. I wasn't like that back in the 60's at all. It also seems like many drivers who DO use their turn signals have to put on their brakes before putting on the turn signal. WHY is beyond the scope of my imagination as my signals work great without stepping on the brake pedal first.

Well, is that any worse than someone flicking on say, right turnsignals, then turning left right in front of you? Happened to me this morning, as I was out biking--SCARY moment!

Art

I've seen cars consistently signal left for a right turn and right for a left turn. I assume that either the car or the driver is wired backwards! :lol:

• 6 years later...
On 4/28/2012 at 12:55 PM, george 53 said:

Christian, My first car was a 52 Chevy Delux 2 dr, an it had an added on steering column turn signal unit. It was a funny lookin little box, about 3 in x 3 in, with two green lights mounted in it, for left and right sides and I thought it was kinda strange that it was mounted like that, caz the cars I drove in drivers Ed in High School all had dash mounted turn signal lights IN the dasboard, not mounted to the steering column. :D

That describes my mother's 1951 Chevy. The lever was a box attached to the steering column. Had one red light indicator. Car also came with no heater for a New England winter. My grandfather installed an aftermarket heater.

I like the Kansas and Missouri drivers who only use their turn signals AFTER they have started to turn. I can see what they have just done and I no longer need their warning as I have managed to get out of their way. 

32 minutes ago, espo said:

I like the Kansas and Missouri drivers who only use their turn signals AFTER they have started to turn. I can see what they have just done and I no longer need their warning as I have managed to get out of their way. 

They do that so other drivers know where they have been. Sorta like closing the barn door after the horses already ran out.

If I remember right when we moved from Pa to Oh the car had to pass inspection, new drivers license and plates. I remember helping my Dad install that weird box because the car had no signals. That would of been 1963. When the law was established can't help ya.

20 minutes ago, BubbaBrown said:

If I remember right when we moved from Pa to Oh the car had to pass inspection, new drivers license and plates. I remember helping my Dad install that weird box because the car had no signals. That would of been 1963. When the law was established can't help ya.

My '60 Pontiac Ventura had factory installed turn signals.

As I recall most mid '50's era cars started to have the turn signal mechanisms built into the steering columns, some of the higher end cars got them sooner. I had an old '51 Chrysler New Yorker that had them built in. I don't recall ever seeing one after about 1955 that wasn't built in.