Model Cars Magazine Forum

Stupid Things You've Done While Modeling

I did a search and couldn't find a topic for this, so I decided to start a new one. I got some more work done on my '88 Corvette 1/16th scale build today (Got the doors attached to the body and now my next step is getting the photo-etch work done), and just did something really stupid.

I don't know if this should be a PSA against drinking while building, but in the end it's kind of funny.

Earlier tonight, I had put a glob of CA Glue on a piece of cardboard (as cardboard doesn't seem to make it insta-set) so I could use a toothpick to apply a small amount to where the door hinge pieces attach to the body. I did this so that I wouldn't get glue on the hinge and therefore didn't make the doors un-openable. This was done many hours ago, and coincidentally many beers ago.

Well, I was in the kitchen getting a snack made, and saw the cardboard with the damp spot on there. If not an idiot at the time, :P , I would have done the waft-of-air odor test and realized it was CA glue. Instead, I put my middle finger on there. Feeling it was sticky, I suddenly remembered what it was. Thankfully, I didn't touch any other part of my body and instantly went to the sink to apply water. This instantly set the glue and I now do not have a fingerprint on my middle finger due to the glue that has firmly set. Lol. I will need to repeatedly wash the hand to allow the glue to separate naturally as the skin sheds.

I'm just glad that I had some sort of memory about how this came to be, otherwise I may have gone to the bathroom and......... well........... given the ER docs a story to last a lifetime.

So what "not so smart" things have you all done involving modeling?

When your X-Acto knife starts rolling off the table into your lap, do NOT squeeze your knees together to try to catch it before it hits the floor. This is bad.

Happened the other day,but didn't notice til it hit the floor. Stuck in the floor pointing straight up, about 1/2 inch from my bare foot. That coulda sucked big time.

I will share one of many stupid moments, this happened this past week, was getting started on my Ferrari kit, but had a few warped parts, the chassis, the interior tube, and the engine cover, it wasnt bad, just enough to cause fit issues . So I decided to try the hot water method.

I grab a pot and put hot tap water in it, well I am not a patient person at times, and so I figured to speed it up, I would turn on the stove to low, so you can see where this is going :lol: , I stepped outside to do something model related real quick, was only gone a few minutes. Well I came back to some parts that were, well lets just say , no longer any good :(:angry:

And my other stupid moments happen all the time when I forgot that I said I would no longer use Krylon paint on bodys every time I have to strip a body

Edited by martinfan5

I put a coat of flat black on the back of a hood, then sat it under some flood lights I was using to help dry parts as the weather was cold. Ten minutes later- 'this isn't doing anything, I'll move the lights a little closer to dry it faster'. Thirty seconds later I look up and wonder what happened to the hood, all that was left on the bench was something resembling a prawn chip :rolleyes:

Lesson learned: patience. And never underestimate the power of heat when it comes to flat black paint on plastic :lol:

I put a coat of flat black on the back of a hood, then sat it under some flood lights I was using to help dry parts as the weather was cold. Ten minutes later- 'this isn't doing anything, I'll move the lights a little closer to dry it faster'. Thirty seconds later I look up and wonder what happened to the hood, all that was left on the bench was something resembling a prawn chip :rolleyes:

Lesson learned: patience. And never underestimate the power of heat when it comes to flat black paint on plastic :lol:

I did something similar years ago. Thinking that heat would help cure a paint job quicker I placed a just finished body under a darfting lamp to help it dry faster. Apparently a little too close with the lamp as about 20 minutes later I looked over to check on it and the paint was bubbling from the heat. That was years ago and I am much smarter now.....................right!

When I was about 14, I used the chisel attachment on my new X-acto set to seperate some glued togeher parts. While I was holding it. :huh: Cut the back of my thumb, nearly to the bone. Blood on the floor, blood in the hallway, blood everywhere. Nearly passed out.

I learned my lesson good, haven't cut myself with an hobby knife or any razor blade since.

I will share one of many stupid moments, this happened this past week, was getting started on my Ferrari kit, but had a few warped parts, the chassis, the interior tube, and the engine cover, it wasnt bad, just enough to cause fit issues . So I decided to try the hot water method.

I grab a pot and put hot tap water in it, well I am not a patient person at times, and so I figured to speed it up, I would turn on the stove to low, so you can see where this is going :lol: , I stepped outside to do something model related real quick, was only gone a few minutes. Well I came back to some parts that were, well lets just say , no longer any good :(:angry:

And my other stupid moments happen all the time when I forgot that I said I would no longer use Krylon paint on bodys every time I have to strip a body

Just a tip. If you plan on using Krylon, use colorplace primer. If you need to strip it, get a good scratch going in a couple places down to bare plastic. A couple hours in the purple pond and you'll be able to peel it off in one big piece.

I keep several of my most used paints in plastic squeeze bottles so that I can load my airbrush quickly and easily. I also keep a couple of bottles with thinners in them to clean the airbrush. All are clearly marked. I was spraying on the last couple of coats of clear and the air brush went empty. Grabbed a bottle of clear to finish up. Instead of clear, I grabbed the bottle of acetone. Needless to say the last coat really went on nice. :o Ruinied about 4 weeks worth of decals paint and plastic. Since then, I am a bit more careful to check which bottle I grab. :blink:

When your X-Acto knife starts rolling off the table into your lap, do NOT squeeze your knees together to try to catch it before it hits the floor. This is bad.

Had that happen to me, but decided to try and catch it on way down.... momentum from my hand and the angle of the knife sent it full blade depth into my thigh.... with this a nice wet red spot started forming around knife...... thank god i did not hit any major blood carriers or nerves... but sure hurt for about 6 weeks.....still got the scar as a reminder not only not close your legs but dot try to catch it....

Just a tip. If you plan on using Krylon, use colorplace primer. If you need to strip it, get a good scratch going in a couple places down to bare plastic. A couple hours in the purple pond and you'll be able to peel it off in one big piece.

James, thanks for the tip, I do keep a can of colorpalce primer on hand at all times

Opened the box.

G

Thats how I am starting to feel

I have a recurring problem with losing parts. Planning/designing a build is my favorite part of modeling. When I start anew kit, I gather all the parts I wanna use on it & put it in the kit box. Later on down the line, I can't find the tires & rims, etc.,to a kit I wanna start because I've so wisely planned another build with them! Did I mention I'm not real organized? This can be a bonus, too. I'm always finding parts I thought l lost! Sometimes too late though.

While spray painting a body it fell of the bent coat hanger for a stand ! Yes the second time on the body I kind of stepped (stomped) on it ! Stupid for turning the body that far over to one side then after trying to fix later letting my anger get the best of me . Now my question is what are those nice stands that people have in their pictures with the spring loaded arms ?

Thats how I am starting to feel

Things here started going ahem, haywire, right after I found out I couldn't make the DSC. Then we find out my Father in Law needed surgery. So, all my sisters in law are in town, and at my house, as is my mother in law. I packed EVERYTHING up and am taking a break for at least four more days.

No sense taking a mostly finished kit and smashing it against the floor in frustration.

:wacko:

G

Edited by Agent G

Things here started going ahem, haywire, right after I found out I couldn't make the DSC. Then we find out my Father in Law needed surgery. So, all my sisters in law are in town, and at my house, as is my mother in law. I packed EVERYTHING up and am taking a break for at least four more days.

No sense taking a mostly finished kit and smashing it against the floor in frustration.

:wacko:

G

I hear ya Wayne, and hope the surgery went good, have stuff going on here to, and with the stress, brings tiredness, so then I have no energy to want to really build. Lol so I take the LB hasnt been mailed out yet :P

Stupid and public. The club used to do the hobby show in Toronto when it still existed. We would have a display and then sit at either end building. Glued my fingers together with ca while people watched. O.K. no problem, I have debonder. Used debonder but not all fingers came apart so without looking up I grabbed what I thought was more debonder but instead it was more ca. So I ended up with whole left had glued together and had to use a lot of debonder to get the whole mess apart. All this while people watched...This is what not to do when building a model..... :unsure: