Model Cars Magazine Forum

Help me decide

Hello all

I apologize to those who saw this on the Spotlightboard, I just figured I would try to get ideas from folks who may not watch that board., any way After my thrashing to finish the Revell 1/12 Mustang Cobra for the NNL East, and attending the NNL east, My interest in modeling has been revived. After a test n' tune session at a local drag strip this weekend, My interest in racing has been re-kindled.

Any way, Racing is really beyond my budget, (and my driving skill) so the next best thing I figure is to build a bracket racer in scale. I have decided on the Dirty Donny Vantasy as my Tow vehicle, The trailer from the '76 caprice, but I still can not decide on the car. I found the cars below in my stash, I am trying to depict a guy, with a low budget, but lots of enthusiasm. I have more models, but they are 1/24th, here is what I have in 1/25th that I feel like building. I kinda want to do the Mustang, but the nose on that model is really odd looking. Thanks in advance for any tips and thoughts! I am thinking our hero is a guy in the early 90s, where cars of the 70s are just old castaways, not the classics that they have become today.

photo2-vi.jpg

Go with the Camaro, nothin can beat a small block Chevy on a budget. More bang for your buck. Tunnel ram on a "stroked" small block.

Go for it man !!! Can't wait to se what you pick and build. These kinds of builds are fun to see. You can really tell a story with a trailer and tow rig.

i agree, the Chevy would do nicely. so many options.

I'm a Chevy kind of guy, but you have also got to respect a light Mustang or even the Plymouth Duster if built right. Any one of these would work. Just a thought on the Joker Goon Car. There is a group of racers from Mo. who have been featured in Hot Rod magazine that show up every year at the annual drag contest with some old rusted four door that thay have drugout of a field somewhere. Their lateest was a Pontiac ( I think it was a '59), The picture in Hot Rod shows it off the line with daylight under both front tires. Just a thought.

Chevy's aren't as cheap to build compared to other engines anymore. Still a bit cheaper, but by how much is arguable. I'd personally go with the Monaco just for kink factor (that and the kit already has a big block), but that Mustang would be very workable as a bracket car.

Go with the Mustang or Camaro, have some fun and do something different. Make it look like it's almost ready for the paint shop with gelcoat fiberglass body panels hood decklid maybe doors. Stretch the wheelwell openings a tad and spray some primer in those areas. Shoe polish the dial in one the windshield. Stick a few contingency decals on it. Have some fun. Oh and don't forget paint on the decklid "Special Thanks to... (me :) ) for these great ideas. :)