Model Cars Magazine Forum

50's NASCAR - Henry A. Yelinek - Need some help

Okay. My wife's father raced on the NASCAR circuit back in the day and I'm planning on building his car. Initially, everyone thought he drove a 40's Plymouth until her brother found the last picture in existence of her father's car.....

2012-04-28_11-23-50_52.jpg

This puts the car as a 40's Ford Coupe. Now suposedly the color scheme was a dingy maroon body, flat black fenders, and a white top with white lettering. The engine was hopped up with three carbs and could "run like the dickens". I have already picked up a Lindberg kit and will probably be modding it heavily to make it work, so I was curious if anyone has any recommendations or hints on this?

Any help would be appreciated.

Allen,

It looks like that front fender might make it a '38 or '39, it's hard to tell from the photo.

Are you coming to the RAMS meeting Thursday night at Hobbytown? If you are bring

the photo, Gene will be able to tell you what it is for sure, being that he has a real '39

standard sedan and all.

Rick in Richmond

If it was me I wouldn't start with the Lindberg kit unless you have to. The body's not too bad but everything else is pretty soft in my opinion. Better would be the AMT kit. I'm sure there are others on here that could give you more educated opinions.

Nascar was started and records keeped in 1948, But they did race long before that and they ran 3-4 times a week, as to what make and year car ya have,, Not for sure 38-39? But dig a little deeper, call some people he knew, and freinds, they my have everything ya need,,

Agreed, that is a 37 or 38 Ford. Both years have the inverted rain drop shape of the headlights molded into the fenders. Earlier and they were closer to the 32 style and starting in 39 they had been totally moved into the fenders and were on the outer edge of the fender instead of the inner edge.

The split window in the front is definitely a '40s Ford, though the fenders do look closer to '37 or '38. The tri-carb setup is actually in an AMT kit that Gene showed me earlier, so I can nab that kit and start with that, then probably use the body of the '40 for the other stuff.

Henry died in 1992 and I never got to meet him, but he and his dad ran an auto repair shop here in Richmond back then. That's why a lot of his bodywork seemed to be cobbled together. Henry also used to race Daytona back when it was nothing more than a big sand oval. We are still looking for more info on his car and other guys that raced with him. Lee Petty was one of his good friends as well as his son Richard.

Great ideas, guys!