Model Cars Magazine Forum

Scratch Built Modified

rudimen

That is a cool looking little model, I like the home town vibe it has and the little Bowman Grey flyer is a cool touch. Some of you guys get way to wrapped up in the meaning of scratch building......Lets not take ourselves to serious here fellas. Do you call out a woman when she says that macaroni is made from scratch when clearly she bought five different ingredients from the store, mixed them and heated it up....no you eat it and shut the blank up :D

Hey Joseph! Looks like somethin that "Puddin" would have driven, with Junior Miller right behind him, and Burt Meyers right behind Junior! Ahh the sites and sounds of Bowman Gray! Nice little build!

Hey Joseph! Looks like somethin that "Puddin" would have driven, with Junior Miller right behind him, and Burt Meyers right behind Junior! Ahh the sites and sounds of Bowman Gray! Nice little build!

Yeah, Nothing like Bowman Gray on Saturday night with a demolition derby to cap it off.

.....Scratch built,kit bashed,etc.,whatever it is,WHO CARES!!!,its a very good representation of a Saturday night Roundy Round car and Joseph did a great job in doing so.....so about the build which that's why he posted it,not to be educated on being politically correct whether or not its a scratch build,....Awesome job!!!,I like it very much and it is something you would see on a Friday/Saturday night!

.....Scratch built,kit bashed,etc.,whatever it is,WHO CARES!!!,its a very good representation of a Saturday night Roundy Round car and Joseph did a great job in doing so.....so about the build which that's why he posted it,not to be educated on being politically correct whether or not its a scratch build,....Awesome job!!!,I like it very much and it is something you would see on a Friday/Saturday night!

Thanks Mike. :D

Hi Rudimen . My brother-in-law is from Zephyrhills , Fla . Back in the early 70's I'd drive up there from Tampa . We spent many evenings hanging out at Buzzie's shop .

Good memories .

Great looking modified !! It needs another 0 on the door .

A big thanks to forum members rmvw guy TooOld Dr. Cranky kruleworld Romell R TheCat Jon Cole krazyglu Grumpa Badluck 13 and retrobuilder for the great comments and trying to explain that this is a fun hobby and not to be taken so seriously by some. :D

My 2¢ for what it's worth...

The term "scratchbuilding" has a definite meaning. I know that some people throw around the term pretty loosely, and then there are some people who genuinely don't know what scratchbuidling really means, and use the term incorrectly... but not intentionally incorrectly.

I think that's what we have here. The OP stated his model is "scratchbuilt" from a kit, which is obviously a contradiction in terms, as ScaleMaster pointed out. I'm pretty sure Joe (rudimen) didn't mean any harm... he just used the term "scratchbuilt" as he sees it.

Some of you guys don't care what it's called, and that's fine for you. But other people do take words seriously, or at least take them to mean what they mean. The fact is, words do matter... and on an online forum, words is all we have, folks!

Again... I'm sure Joe wasn't trying to pull a fast one by calling his model "scratchbuilt." And Mark (ScaleMaster) was not trying to slam Joe or his work by pointing out that this model is not really scratchbuilt. Neither did anything wrong, so let's stop jumping all over each other, trying to get the last word in and showing up the other guy.

Library book, hippopotamus, window crank...who cares? Just call it whatever you want because words don't actually mean anything.

That's crazy. I know you're just making a point, but obviousy you don't really mean that words don't mean anything?

If words don't mean anything, how else do we communicate with each other?

Harry,

Clearly I know that words DO mean something. The point I was trying to make (which you got but went over the heads of others) was that when we use them wrong, and resist correction, they can lose their meaning. Scratchbuilding means something very specific no matter what some folks on this board say. The gentleman who made that Tatra scratchbuilt it. The gentlemen who made the Australian Falcon sedan scratchbuilt it. Modifying a kit is not the same thing as scratchbuilding and insisting it is doesn't change anything. You simply cannot compare the effort and talent it took to scratchbuild that Tatra or Falcon to modifying a store-bought kit and doing so is an insult to those who DO scratchbuild.

Cutting somebody's chest open with a circular saw doesn't make you a heart sugeon and modifying an off the shelf model doesn't make your model scratchbuilt.

(Food for thought) I'll begin by saying my scratchbuilt modified is not anywhere near the skill level build of the masterpiece 2 engine scratchbuilt Freight Train dragster that was on the cover of MCM, With that said you brought up the entirely scratch built Tatra and the builder said he used no commercial parts (no parts from a model kit). Now the builder of the scratchbult Freight Train dragster said in the article he used 11 kit pieces (parts from other model kits) out of the 224 total parts he made it out of. Then he says the 213 non kit parts were scratchbuilt from brass, aluminum,stainless steel and styrene plastic or parts from model car aftermarket companies. Now if you take another look at my scratchbuilt modified I used kit parts from a pop secret nascar kit and I also used non kit parts like aluminum, stainless steel and styrene plastic to make mine. I measured and cut aluminum sheet, aluminum tubing and sheet sytrene and added them to the nascar kit pieces to look like a modifed racer So I believe there is no difference in the builder of the Freight Train Dragster calling his dragster scratchbuilt than me calling my modified scratchbuilt and yes I realize a whole lot more parts and skill went into building the dragster. So is the Freight Train dragster a true scratchbuild or because he used some kit parts you would say no because the Tatra didn't have any kit pieces in it.

cover165.jpg

Three words for you Joseph: ignore user function. One of the BEST features on this forum. Just go to your profile, click on "manage ignore prefs",type in the screen name of the person you want to ignore and PRESTO! you'll never have to see responses by that person again! It will make your time here much better! ;) BTW, cool modified.

it's a shame because the modified in the beginning of this thread is kind of neat, i think it has a cool overall look to it. to start the thread with the claim that it is "scratchbuilt" was looking for trouble right from the beginning however. i had this build confused with another one that was posted here recently that i can't find, maybe it was deleted? anyway, that other modified from what i remember was mostly scratchbuilt and also used some kit or aftermarket parts in it's construction, i don't remember the poster/builder of that car making the same claims that you, the "pimp" are however.

i have to agree too in that i think your claim is an insult to those models and builders who do put considerable effort into completely scratchbuilt models or even those with considerable scratchbuilt content. it's completely delusional on your part to even imply that your effort is the same or on the same level.

Hey Dave please read the parts in bold print that I sent to Scale-Master.

When you quoted my comment you needed to add everything I said in that comment and don't leave out parts and then say I insulted the builder of the dragster. Here's the comment of mine you put in quotes and in bold is what I said right after what you had in quotes that you didn't include. " So I believe there is no difference in the builder of the Freight Train Dragster calling his dragster scratchbuilt than me calling my modified scratchbuilt and yes I realize a whole lot more parts and skill went into building the dragster. So by my saying that and by saying this at the beginning of that thread "I'll begin by saying my scratchbuilt modified is not anywhere near the skill level build of the masterpiece 2 engine scratchbuilt Freight Train dragster" So I'm definitely not insulting the workmanship of the dragster as you said.

This a trailer, that I scratch built, the only parts that I did not make, the wheels/tires and the photo etch door and compartment handles, ok I used foil, and line o tape. I made the trailer out of ever green sheet styrene

ft2.jpg

Not flaming the OP at all, he did a good a job, just used the wrong wording

The Freight Train that appeared in the magazine was almost completely scratchbuilt, except for a handful of kit parts. Plus, it was not based on an existing kit. Is it absolutely 100% scratchbuilt? No, technically not. But about 95% of it was, and since it was not a modified kit, I think it deserves the "scratchbuilt" title.

The modified in this thread began life as a kit. Yes, it's heavily modified, but still began as a kit. I think that's the difference here.

Yes, this topic can easily fall into the "splitting hairs" category.

Just how much of a model has to be truly scratchbuilt to qualify as a "scratchbuilt" model? That depends on who you ask. But a model that begins as a kit, and is then modified, added to, and includes scratchbuilt components, can't really be considered scratchbuilt, IMO. "Scratchbashed," maybe.

Gerald Wingrove builds truly scratchbuilt models. He starts with drawings and a pile of raw material... and he literally creates every piece of his models using those raw materials. "From scratch," as it were. No existing kit parts are used. Zero. His models are truly scratchbuilt, and the best example of the meaning of a "scratchbuilt" model.

If one uses any pre-made kit or aftermarket parts in any build, one cannot (and should not) claim the build is "scratchbuilt", period. As Harry pinted out in another topic in which the builder made the same "scratchbuilt" claim, If it started out as a defined shape (such as a wheel, a battery, a '32 Ford body, etc.) it's not scratchbuilt, regardless of it's source.

As always, err on the sie of caution, and chose a more humble path when describing your builds and your work will be moer openly and warmly accepted. Describing this build as a "modified with scratchbuilt parts" in the description would've allowed you to mention that you put in some some extra effort by creating some parts from scratch, while avaoiding the bogus claim of the model as a whole being scratchbuilt. Most people can tell at glance what came from a kit and what didn't, so let your work speak for itself...and for you.

If one uses any pre-made kit or aftermarket parts in any build, one cannot (and should not) claim the build is "scratchbuilt", period. As Harry pinted out in another topic in which the builder made the same "scratchbuilt" claim, If it started out as a defined shape (such as a wheel, a battery, a '32 Ford body, etc.) it's not scratchbuilt, regardless of it's source.

As always, err on the sie of caution, and chose a more humble path when describing your builds and your work will be moer openly and warmly accepted. Describing this build as a "modified with scratchbuilt parts" in the description would've allowed you to mention that you put in some some extra effort by creating some parts from scratch, while avaoiding the bogus claim of the model as a whole being scratchbuilt. Most people can tell at glance what came from a kit and what didn't, so let your work speak for itself...and for you.

Casey, very well said, its almost the same as trying to pass a diecast off as a model, two you things you should never do, claim all scratch built or claim a diecast was a kit.

Remember, guys... Joe clearly stated in his very first post that he used a kit as the basis of his model, so obviously he's not trying to hide or misrepresent anything. Yes, he called it "scratchbuilt," but that was only because his definition of the word is different than some other members. I don't think there was any intention of pulling a fast one here.

The discussion of what is and what is not "scratchbuilt" is interesting, but let's keep things in perspective here.