Model Cars Magazine Forum

Peterbilt 359 R/C

On my other builds I did the lights after paint but there are so many led's on this I thought it would be better to install and wire them first. I used 32 gauge wire and 2 types of led's, Osram micro side mount white and blue and 1.8mm diffused red, blue and yellow. The cab marker lights were the hardest to plan out and get right. I hollowed out the chrome housing for the 1.8mm yellow led that I sanded the corners off so it would fit. Then I colored it with an orange Sharpie so the color was right when it is turned on or off. I installed 3 micro slide switches to control the lights and a connector so I can plug into a power supply for display. There ended up being a total of 50 led's on the truck.

MicroPete1521024x768.jpg

MicroPete1541024x768.jpg

MicroPete1571024x768.jpg

MicroPete1591024x768.jpg

MicroPete1611024x768.jpg

MicroPete1631024x768.jpg

MicroPete1661024x768.jpg

MicroPete1691024x768.jpg

MicroPete1701024x768.jpg

MicroPete1711024x768.jpg

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h312/rcdave13/Losi%20Micro%20Crawler/Micro%20Pete/MicroPete1721024x768.jpg

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h312/rcdave13/Losi%20Micro%20Crawler/Micro%20Pete/MicroPete1731024x768.jpg

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h312/rcdave13/Losi%20Micro%20Crawler/Micro%20Pete/MicroPete1761024x768.jpg

Edited by rcdave

That is one great wiring job. Looks a lot better then mine. I really like the way you did the bullet lights. I'm using 5 fiber wires into one 5mm LED for mine.

That is what I planned to do but I thought this would be easier. How did the fiber optics work out? I was thinking of what to do with the fiber optics since I didn't use them and they might work good for interior trailer lights. Paint the optics and notch them where you want a light but I havn't tested it yet.

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.. you are giving so many ideas to do to my 359 and my w900 that my wife is going to hate me.. hmm if I buy just a little at a time she will not knotice.... hmmm with a Cheshire cat grin..

Thanks I'm glad I could inspire you. I.m not married.... hmmm with a Cheshire cat grin.

That is what I planned to do but I thought this would be easier. How did the fiber optics work out? I was thinking of what to do with the fiber optics since I didn't use them and they might work good for interior trailer lights. Paint the optics and notch them where you want a light but I havn't tested it yet.

Got busy remodeling the basement, so it's just sitting on the drafting table unfinised. I got all five fiber optics in and 3 bullet lights.

Thanks for the comments.

I showed this build to a few of my friends on Earls site and it's blowing thier minds. Is it OK if I drag this link there for the rest of them to see or do you want to do it?

I will post it in a day or 2. I don't like painting so I took a few days off.

Waiting on paint to dry so I can clearcoat it. I like the look of big 10" stacks so I got some 7/16" x .016" thin wall aluminum tube. I didn't think it could be bent without professional tools but I tried it anyway and it worked well. I packed the tube with sand and heated it with a propane torch, this is the tricky part. Then I put the tube in a handheld tube bender and carefully bent it. The 1st try the tube ripped when I was almost done, it needed more heat. The 3rd try I got it too hot and it was a little deformed but the 2nd and 4th turned out nice. The bends could be tighter but the are close enough. I know they are too long but I can't decide if I want angled cuts or straight cuts. Also needs to be polished.

MicroPete1811024x768_zpsaec4c339.jpg

MicroPete1821024x768_zpse2f6ad70.jpg

MicroPete1821024x768_zpse2f6ad70.jpg

MicroPete1841024x768_zps7dd6809f.jpg

Holy Cow! You should consider selling a bill of materials/kit so some of us could give this a try. Absolutely amazing! I would be real curious how many $ you wind up with in this thing just for future planning. If I hit the lottery, I would like to try something like this with the 1/16 Monogram Peterbilt. I remember when I was a kid (far too long ago) I took a battery operated war tank drive out of a Tamiya kit and put in a 1/32 snap tite GMC General kit. It was "front wheel drive" and had the batteries stuffed in the sleeper. Ahhhh memories. FANTASTIC job. Excellent use of the old brain.

Holy Cow! You should consider selling a bill of materials/kit so some of us could give this a try. Absolutely amazing! I would be real curious how many $ you wind up with in this thing just for future planning. If I hit the lottery, I would like to try something like this with the 1/16 Monogram Peterbilt. I remember when I was a kid (far too long ago) I took a battery operated war tank drive out of a Tamiya kit and put in a 1/32 snap tite GMC General kit. It was "front wheel drive" and had the batteries stuffed in the sleeper. Ahhhh memories. FANTASTIC job. Excellent use of the old brain.

I am keeping a list of all the parts and prices. Do you know Tamiya makes a 1/14 semi that is very popular with a tons of aftermarket parts.

Still working on paint but I finished the dash, I think. Looks better in person cause the camera shows all the little imperfections alot better. I put a blue LED behind the dash so the white gauges are backlit.

MicroPete2011024x768_zps3acc2bcb.jpg

MicroPete2021024x768_zps2fe36af9.jpg

Edited by rcdave