Model Cars Magazine Forum

Peterbilt 359 R/C

• 3 weeks later...

It's been about 3 months since I have posted an update because I don't usually work on these builds during summer/fall but there was a few days of rain and I couldn't resist. The rear fenders are cast resin from P&P Vintage Kits and I made mounting brackets from styrene and they are attached to the frame with 6 screws for easy removal.

MicroPete1001024x768.jpg

MicroPete1021024x768.jpg

MicroPete1061024x768.jpg

MicroPete1071024x768.jpg

MicroPete1101024x768.jpg

MicroPete1111024x768.jpg

MicroPete1121024x768.jpg

MicroPete1141024x768.jpg

MicroPete1171024x768.jpg

MicroPete1181024x768.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the comments, glad you guys like it.

On the front wheels I drilled out where the lugs go and cut up some aluminum nails and polished them then glued them in place. I really like the result and surprised I havn't seen anyone do this before. I want to do this to the rears and trailer but thats 80 more little peices of nail. Don't know if I can commit to that.

MicroPete591024x768.jpg

MicroPete601024x768.jpg

MicroPete611024x768.jpg

MicroPete621024x768.jpg

MicroPete631024x768.jpg

For the rear wheels I glued on a peice of styrene for the drive pin.

MicroPete651024x768.jpg

• 2 months later...

I have alot of time into this build and I'm just now getting to the cab. Decided I wanted a bigger sleeper so I cut off the stock one and added a 60" sleeper I bought on ebay. Next I added more styrene to the firewall and cut holes for the air cleaners, added some styrene strips around the bottom and glued the bed in.

MicroPete1251024x768.jpg

MicroPete1261024x768.jpg

MicroPete1271024x768.jpg

Dude!!!!! You got some serious skills....Very nice work....Nothing I'd ever have the chicklets to mess with.....Absolutely amazing.....

Thanks, glad you like it.

One of the first things I notice when I look at other peoples build of this model is the big gap between the bumper and grill so I have been planning on doing this. I am looking at the hinges on the hood trying to figure out why the person who designed it didn't do it the right way(like a 1:1). It wouldn't have been more work or cost more money. Anyway it wasn't hard to fix I just made some hinges and cut a nail for the pins and glued them where they needed to go. Then I added styrene to the front fenders so they match the rears and filled in the hole in the hood where the air cleaner goes.

MicroPete1211024x768.jpg

MicroPete1291024x768.jpg

MicroPete1221024x768.jpg

MicroPete1231024x768.jpg

This is just awesome looking, You are doing some really cool stuff to this rig.

Thanks, wait untill you see the lights.

Question for anyone who likes Hot rod/show trucks. I am planning to paint the body blue and silver and the frame and axles will be blue. Should I paint the engine blue, silver or Cat yellow?

Also should I put the air horns on top of the cab?

I love seeing this build come together. How many hours do you have in it so far?

Thanks, I almost don't want to say but I do kind of keep track and since I started this almost 1 year ago I have over 130 hours in it. Sounds like alot but most of the time is research, design and finding parts. I have about 8 hours on the 5th wheel, 4 hours on the front wheels and over 20 hours on the axles and suspension. I have done alot recently that I have not posted yet like about 25 hours on lighting.

Oh that is sweet. The lights are just gonna push it over the top. What kind of lights did you say you were gonna use? I used 5mm LED's for my front and back lights. I used 3mm for the sides.

I used 1.8mm for the back and top of the cab and Osram micro side mount 1mm x 2mm for headlights and side markers. 50 led's total!

Oh, OK. I'm building a wrecker with them, but with flashers. So you gonna drill out the original lights and put the LED's behind them?

What do you use for flashers? It's hard to explain what I'm doing but I should have it posted by the weekend.

Very impressive building skills you have and it shows with everything you have done on this truck.

As for the engine color with a truck like this, I would paint it to blend in with the body.

I love the hot rod/custom trucks myself.

I've built two myself and will build more of them.

And theres a lot of custom show trucks with color matching engines and transmissions also.

Even working show trucks match sometimes.

This truck to me if I was building it would be built as a custom show truck,only driven to the shows,even if it has a trailer for it to match the truck.

Very impressive building skills you have and it shows with everything you have done on this truck.

As for the engine color with a truck like this, I would paint it to blend in with the body.

I love the hot rod/custom trucks myself.

I've built two myself and will build more of them.

And theres a lot of custom show trucks with color matching engines and transmissions also.

Even working show trucks match sometimes.

This truck to me if I was building it would be built as a custom show truck,only driven to the shows,even if it has a trailer for it to match the truck.

Thanks for the comment. I put a couple coats of yellow on the engine to see how I like it but planning to match theengine and body color later if I don't. I will be building a Featherlite Race Trailer for it to carry one of my other builds.