Model Cars Magazine Forum

making a choice

when i started off in the model building hobby, i actually got to pick and choose my kits very few times... and gladly built whatever it was that i DID get as gifts. i was lucky to have indulgent parents who supported my artistic side..... and relatives who did, also. so, my confusion arises when i read comments that a certain model "simply holds no interest to me"..... well; why not? it's a model; it's sole purpose is to be built and provide some entertainment and education.....

of course, when a model is a GIFT, there is no financial weight applied to it; at least until you start painting or adding parts.... thus removing the possible regret of having SPENT any money on it.

but, when you BUY a kit.... especially these days at 25 bucks a pop or more, i can see why builders don't expand their horizons or experiment outside their comfort zone.

my wife, bless her, will grab ANY kit she finds at a thrift store/yard sale and bring it home for me.....

and i BUILD them, whatever they happen to be........

I for one won't ever buy the 53 Hornet. IF i get one as a gift, I'll graciously accept it, but I won't buy it. I just don't have any interest in it, It doesn't spark a lite in my fire, that's all. I don't build 24 th scale cars for the same reason, I don't care for the size difference. I have MANY 24th scale aircraft, as that's the only scale I can find close to 25th, But if the cars not available in 25th but it is in 24th then MAYBE but not often. NEVER got the 70 GSX by monmogram exactly for that reason. When R&R came out with a resin cast 25th scale GSX, I bought two of them. To each his own, and I don't feel I'm missing out on anything because of my bigotrie(sp?) I got MORE than enough kits to build without changing my habits. I've been thru the different scales of other types of kit, I chose 1/48th for aircraft and built MANY over the years, But my true love has always been cars, so in my later years, I choose to do them exclusively. In fact I sold most of my unbuilt planes to another member here who wanted them. As long as I build ,I'm being happy, and as long as i build CARS, I', even happier. But hey, that's just me. I'm sure I'm not the only one with thier own quirks! :lol::D;)

There are some kits that hold zero interest for me, and I would likely never build for myself, but, I have built some that fit into that category for others. But often once the project is done, I find I have gained some appreciation for it. A few never do it for me though...

There is something to be said for the freedom that mentally comes with a free kit when it comes to experimenting on it.

Scale does not bother me as it does others; subject matter and quality mean more.

Just because somewone gives me a kit of a subject I have no like for or interest in doesn't mean that I'm suddenly going to develop a desire to build that kit. That's like say that "ice cream is ice cream, no matter the flavor, so eat it".

Just because somewone gives me a kit of a subject I have no like for or interest in doesn't mean that I'm suddenly going to develop a desire to build that kit. That's like say that "ice cream is ice cream, no matter the flavor, so eat it".

I like ice cream

I like to try and put a little of my heart into each build these days. If you don't love it than why do it? (unless someone is paying you) My club had a theme to build something out of your comfort zone one month and I chose an F14 I purchased at a garage sale for 10 cents. It was fun at first when I was painting it then, when I started painting the missiles I started feeling ill. I decided to change it to a race plane and at the end felt like it was a waste of good paint. Bottom line, I will never build another military model. It went in the trash can when I got home. As for me, I will stick to what I truly love. As for model gifts, they will have the same fate as the F14 unless I truly love them, or just they will sit on the shelf.

Why buy or build a kit of a subject you don't like? I was given kits as gifts as a youngster that never got built. I don't build planes...I was given several, I don't like open wheel or dragsters at all...I was given a few that were passed on. What I don't understand is that you (George) don't understand, there's zero point in trying to build something you don't like. Period.

What's not to understand? If i don't like it, I won't buy it.Simple as that. Do YOU buy stuff you don't like SIMPLY to buy it? I'm on a pension, so I don't do things like that..Besides, we all have our ways, like i said. :D;)

What would be the point of building a kit that I have no interest in?? :blink: For me,it makes no sense to spend time and effort on a kit that I don't have any interest in. I'm certainly not going to spend my money on something just for the sake of supporting the hobby. For instance, the Moebius Hudson Hornet and Chrysler 300 holds zero interest for me. It's just not there,so, I'll never buy or build either one. Even if I did somehow receive them as gifts, they would never get built. There are way too many other kits that I am interested in building for me to waste my time trying to muddle through building something that I'm not interested in.

Guest Johnny

Some times you build one that you have no interest in just because you may not want to offend the person who so graciously gave it to you as a gift!

Like Mom or Grandma or yes even a wife! :lol:

Then you may even be surprised that you now like the subject after taking the time to build it. Why? Because like all your builds you put all of your talents into the build because that is how you do things! :)

I only build 1/25, with very rare exceptions. l do have, & will build, a Revell VW Samba Bus. That is also the only foreign vehicle l have. By the time it's modified to my tastes, it could be displayed with 1/25 subjects without sticking out too badly. So basically, l build 1/25 cars & trucks that l have interest in.

As you say, modeling is for entertainment. But also to me its about artistic expression. Any artist will tell you there is zero motivation to work a subject that holds no interest to you.

So like you I will gladly recieve any kit as a gift, knowing full well that a kit I AM interested in, is only a trade away.

As you say, modeling is for entertainment. But also to me its about artistic expression. Any artist will tell you there is zero motivation to work a subject that holds no interest to you.

That's not at all true.

Many artists create work commissioned by someone else and sink large amounts of artistic expression in the job.

I do this all the time and believe me, profit is a huge motivation coupled with the challenge of working in unfamiliar territory.

CadillacPat

I see both sides of this, and can agree with both sides, if you dont like a subject, then dont build it, but at the same, there is nothing wrong with building outside your comfort zone once and while.

For me, at this moment, I am only going to invest the time and money on stuff that I have an interest in, but I do want to build some subject's that I normally do not build, just open my building world up a little bit, that is one reason why I joined a model club.

A lot of times is good to build outside the box, you know, try something different, nothing wrong with that!

I sometimes purchase kits that are not to my tastes just to "spice it up" a little. And this has not gone unnoticed by my 8-year-old nephew who is my model building buddy. He is generally a car builder, but builds the occasional airplane just to mix it up a little.

Guest Johnny

I like ice cream

Me too, no matter what the flavor! :) and to your point Mr Turner that is just what my grandma would say "stop bitchin' and eat it or do without!" :lol:

Today Car subjects are my main interest because that is what other people want done.

But, I've built all the Monster Models (Dracula, Wolfman, Frankenstein, Creature) airplanes, subs, Visible Man, etc., because I always wanted the next build to be more difficult than the last.

CadilacPat

When you only scratch build, you never have the problem of building something you're not interest in. It's an art expression, for sure. I can't find art in anything military, very little in things that fly and I am not a huge fan of big old trucks and stuff. Cars that are built with the sole purpose of going fast without a passenger, excite me. Cars that compete, wheel to wheel, with a bunch of other cars, going fast is euphoric to my brain. Cash in those unwanted models and buy some styrene and aluminum and build your dreams. Just my opinion. Ken

I build everything and anything, I have not built a out of box model in years,, I got to do it my way,, But i do have Drivers give me a stack of pics of there car,, and ask me to make one like theres,, I myself love a challenge, So do what you Love, and Love what you do,,,,

That's not at all true.

Many artists create work commissioned by someone else and sink large amounts of artistic expression in the job.

I do this all the time and believe me, profit is a huge motivation coupled with the challenge of working in unfamiliar territory.

CadillacPat

I supose thats true, but it didn't occur to me because I don't sell any of my builds.

I supose thats true, but it didn't occur to me because I don't sell any of my builds.

Even if you don't sell what you make there's plenty of motivation to do the best you can do. To outdo yourself.

That's always the reason for building anything.

CadillacPat

This is a pretty interesting discussion. As far as my choices go, I have so many different interests in so many scales and my budget is so small that my standing rule is; If it's a really good deal, more than likely I'll buy the kit. When I hit Hobby Lobby, I go to the Clearance Section first. I've found many of my kits, of many different subjects for 50-75% off.

For me it got to the point of not paying large sums for kits I bought for 2-3 bucks back when. It was the same old reruns all of the time just higher prices. I dabbled a bit in 1/87th also back then but not like now. So now I pay 20-50 for a kit, and don't blink an eye. I get to detail it as much, or little as I want, and can compete with the others in the same field. The detail work that had to go into the builds is what I got burned out on.

Yes I still build 1/25th now and then, just when I find something really odd that appeals to me.