Model Cars Magazine Forum

Night time photos

Nice art photos. The dark background is good for showing off bright-colored cars, like the '66 Chevy. That black Chevelle, though, doesn't show well. I would recommend using a light background. The lack of ambient light, though, against a light background (say, white posterboard,) might produce some interesting results for light or dark-colored cars.

Charlie Larkin

The Impala is pretty dramatic - I like it quite a bit. The Chevelle, as has been mentioned once or twice, is too dark. I think that with a little more work/development/testing/whatever you want to call it, there's some pretty good photos waiting to be taken.

The background is usually the worst part of most model pictures for me - either too cluttered or out of scale. This spotlights the car a little more.

I agree with Rob.

The whole point of posting photos here is to let us see your work. Posting "artsy" nighttime shots where we can hardly see the model doesn't really serve much of a purpose, does it? It's cool as a photo experiment and to play around with... but for posting your work here, better to stick with good lighting so we can see your work!

I'll shoot some photos against a dark background once in a while. It can look pretty good if done right.

P1010185.jpg

Imgp0763.jpg

DSCN1185.jpg

The trick is in the lighting and exposure- if you just go outside and take some pictures using the flash on your digital camera at night you won't show off your work to its best advantage. The best part about digital photography is the ability to play with the settings on your camera and to instantly see what works and what doesn't.

Edited by jaymcminn

I do most of my model photography against a dark background. It increases the depth and intensity of shadows, giving greater dimension to small details that would otherwise be lost in reflected light.

Bentley_06.jpg

AKP_04.jpg

I agree with Rob.

The whole point of posting photos here is to let us see your work. Posting "artsy" nighttime shots where we can hardly see the model doesn't really serve much of a purpose, does it? It's cool as a photo experiment and to play around with... but for posting your work here, better to stick with good lighting so we can see your work!

These have been posted on here Harry with regular lighting.

This was suppose to be just for the fun of it and trying something different.

I know black on black in the dark is not the way to go I'm just meesing around with the idea.

As for those who have posted other photos here they look real nice

I'll shoot some photos against a dark background once in a while. It can look pretty good if done right.

P1010185.jpg

Imgp0763.jpg

DSCN1185.jpg

The trick is in the lighting and exposure- if you just go outside and take some pictures using the flash on your digital camera at night you won't show off your work to its best advantage. The best part about digital photography is the ability to play with the settings on your camera and to instantly see what works and what doesn't.

Thanks for the tips

Very nice photos you have here

I do most of my model photography against a dark background. It increases the depth and intensity of shadows, giving greater dimension to small details that would otherwise be lost in reflected light.

Bentley_06.jpg

AKP_04.jpg

Thanks for posting these and the tips about the dark background.

I never thought of it that way.

Nice photos you have here

I think you should try the "fake" nighttime thing. Find a good outdoor place that looks cool. Get there right before the sun goes down. Shoot into the sunset direction. Don't use your flash. BUT, make sure you have a light reflector to bounce/reflect light back onto the model. I have a piece of white foamcore with a cardboard easel back on it. It can stand on it's own without me trying to hold it and take photos. If you try and shoot without it, you'll get a complete silhouette of the car. But in the end, it'll look like early evening and really cool. Try shooting the car multiple positions and take a TON of photos. You will have better chances of getting a great shot. I always say "shoot first. Sort later"! ; - )

You can also experiment with adding clip lamp type lights to add some lights here and there. Image it's in a parking lot at night. There's those tall lights shining down on the lot. So you can have your real "dusk" and add some fake parking lot lighting from above.

night time photos should be saved for models with working lights. which look good in the dark. i can barely see your chevelle (black car in the black).

Using that logic automotive paints should only be used on1:1 cars.

I agree with Rob.

Actually I thought the purpose of posting here (general) was for just about anything and the on the workbench and under glass sections were for showing your work. What's wrong with a little creative photography? We all get a little "artsy" with our models why not the photos of them?

Good example, PlasticMom. There's not much difference between a car shot at night or against a black background, as you can see in the link below. You still have to light it. Sunset shots are a whole different thing (and also require fill lighting to see detail). The big question is, how arty do you want to get? As far as the interests of this forum are concerned, we want to see the details of the build.

http://www.photodesi.../portfolio.html

This shot is cool, not very descriptive, but at least it depicts the essence of the styling. I think the top of the car must be highlighted.

ferrarisilhouette.png

Edited by sjordan2