Model Cars Magazine Forum

Chopped 34 Ford wrecker rat rod

I'm just getting started on this, still kind of feeling it out and getting parts together. So far I have chopped the top about six inches and sectioned the cab about 3 inches. I will probably channel it some but I'm running out of room in the cab to do much more. I'm going to use the wrecker parts from the kit but I want to build a wooden bed and some other stuff for it. I'm having the most difficulty finding the engine I want. I want to use a Detroit 3 53 or 4 53 inline engine but I don't thing one has been done yet, Sourkraut did a 4 71 but they''re gone now. Anyone know where I can find a reasonable facsimile of a Detroit 53 series?

rat1.jpg

I did some testing today and decided to try to pump up the size of and existing engine to see what I would get. I took a Chevy stovebolt six and widened it about three scale inches and raised the head by the same amount. I think with some more work I can make this into a respectable, if not 100% down to the nuts and bolts correct, Detroit 4 53.

rat2.jpg

Edited by Fat Brian

I did some more work to the engine, tomorrow I will work on the front and rear gear sets. I made a quick and rough mock up of the bed out some balsa wood to kind of get a feel for what it would look like. I still don't know what wheels to use, I want some thing sort of industrial but classic. I'm thinking of finding some 1/32 dayton semi style wheels or maybe some military-esque duece and a half wheels.

rat3.jpg

Also check out Dakotah toys, scale tractor parts.

Thank you for the heads up on Dakotah toys, I've been wanting to build a replica of the Krimson Krusher monster truck for ever but couldn't justify spending hundreds of dollars on tractor models just to rob the rear tires.

Truck_KrimsonKrusher.jpg

Edited by Fat Brian

Brian, I've recently built a flat bed '34 using an original AMT kit. The bed was a lot of fun to do. I used balsa and basswoood.

Here is the build thread if you'd like to see how I did it.

http://s53.photobuck...x/Shop%20truck/

Your truck is really cool, I think I'm going for something rattyer though.

http://www.killbille...43&d=1241337150

1932-chevy-rat-rod-truck-2.jpg

Edited by Fat Brian

Thank you for the heads up on Dakotah toys, I've been wanting to build a replica of the Krimson Krusher monster truck for ever but couldn't justify spending hundreds of dollars on tractor models just to rob the rear tires.

Truck_KrimsonKrusher.jpg

No problem Brian, some of the front tires aren't to bad either interesting parts and they are definitely reasonably priced.

I was never really happy with my engine, it just wasn't working out right. So, I spent last night looking for pics and measurements and spent today scratchbuilding a correct engine.

Here is the bare block:

4-53engineblock.jpg

Here is what I've got so far, I need to do some more sanding on the water passages at the top corners of the block but so far it's much better:

rat4.jpg

rat7.jpg

It's really tall, the head and valve cover aren't even on it yet, but it measures to the correct specs. It will sit lower in the frame when the wheels are on but I'm probably going to channel the cab some so the improvement might be minimal. The fuel tank is from the Mad Mudder kit.

rat8.jpg

rat9.jpg

Edited by Fat Brian

I've done some more work to the engine, it's complete up to the cylinder head and I've built the rear gear cover and filled in the gap in the oil pan. I have an 8v92 Detroit coming in the mail and if it is in good shape I have an 8v71 that I will use parts from for the front cover and the valve cover. In the mean time I will start working on the truck bed and wrecker setup, I want to build something more like the pic I posted than the kit parts.

rat9-1.jpg

I reworked the wrecker part, I wanted it to be more like the pic above but I want it to appear as if it would really work. I'm goint to cut the verticle white bars off level with the top of the cab once everything is getting closer to its final position.

rat10.jpg

I've gotten started on the real bed, the white parts will be rusted with Sophisticated Finishes rust patina kit. I'm not super happy with the frame, I might redo it. The engine is complete except for the accessories and exhaust, I'm still trying to find a transmission that looks right, beefy but not really huge. I traded for some Pegasus wheels that kind of look like semi wheels but I think I want to go with the spoked wheels from the Mack AC kit, I just have to buy the kit I guess.

rat12.jpg

rat11.jpg

I bought a Mack AC off ebay last night so my wheels should be here midweek, I also rebuilt the frame out of smaller square stock. Once I get my rolling stock in I will be able to set the ride height and really make some progress.