Model Cars Magazine Forum

GSL XXIV 2013...Just a year ahead...Are you planning to be there?

We are exactly a year ahead of this great shows where a good amount of great modelers get together for a full weekend of model car activities and good friendship. Are you planning to be there from May 2 to May 5, 2013?

Simón P. Rivera Torres

I would love to go. It would be my first time but I've got a question for the veterans of the show.

In the rules under some of the catagories such as "Competition - Drag, or Competition LSR", it states:

Qualifying models may be of any vintage, style, or class,and must be built in accordance with the applicable 1:1 competition rules of a sanctioning organization (NHRA, UDRA, NDRA, etc.) for the vintage of the scale model depicted.

My question is: Just how strict are they about these rules of the sanctioning bodies? Do they really know how wide of slicks were allowed in 1962, etc.?

I have no delusions of winning anything, I just wouldn't want to eliminate myself before I get there. Thank you, KB

Its good to hear that most of you guys will be there,I'm planning myself to be there with a group of fellow modelers from Puerto Rico...Hey, Len, it'll be my 5th in a row, I hope to see you there, or maybe in the same plane like in 2009...hehehe...

Ken,I guess the best way you will answer your good questions,its checking the GSL site.Here is it:

www.gslchampionship.org

See you guys then!

SimónP. Rivera Torres

I would love to go. It would be my first time but I've got a question for the veterans of the show.

In the rules under some of the catagories such as "Competition - Drag, or Competition LSR", it states:

Qualifying models may be of any vintage, style, or class,and must be built in accordance with the applicable 1:1 competition rules of a sanctioning organization (NHRA, UDRA, NDRA, etc.) for the vintage of the scale model depicted.

My question is: Just how strict are they about these rules of the sanctioning bodies? Do they really know how wide of slicks were allowed in 1962, etc.?

I have no delusions of winning anything, I just wouldn't want to eliminate myself before I get there. Thank you, KB

I'll just repeat my experience with GSL. I'm pretty sure it was 1997...made the long trip to SLC with 5 of my large scale builds. IMO I was treated like a leper. Mark seemed to have a real problem with large scale (there was no category for it), and he seemed more interested in hanging out with the "known" builders. There were some really nice builds. Augie Hiscano's 33 Ford S.R. was very impressive, though I think it was a redo from before with a little improvement. I saw others that had been modified from other shows to make the GSL "grade". I saw some very creative, quality ideas that got snubbed. I've won my share of awards at some very competitive shows, but this one seemed more like a gathering of the "buddies" to admire each other's work. Just my impression.

To go back 15 years later with all the new scratchbuilding techniques/equipment and aftermarket parts is more for spectators unless you've mastered all the latest trends. IMO.

But then, I can also pay for a lot of new stuff for the cost of the trip on this one. Or, make it a vacation to see the Tabernacle Choir. :)

Had a great time last year and am really hoping to get back there again next year. My experience was definitely different than Ken K's. Mark was very gracious to us and we met a lot of really nice folks (many who happen to be some of the best modelers in the country!) The camaraderie among the participants was really great.

-Art

Well....we'll see how the money goes, but if I can, I would love to go. Just based on what I've seen in magazines, it's worth going to see what's on the tables, and Salt Lake City is supposed to be a beautiful city, and Utah itself is, from what I've been told by some friends that went skiing there, absolutely breathtaking.

Great way to have a little long weekend.

Charlie Larkin

I would love to go. ? Do they really know how wide of slicks were allowed in 1962, etc.?

Don't worry about it! Mark is a custom guy! He barely knows a line-loc from a nitrous bottle. It's not like they have a collection of rule books and can say, "Hey! AHRA allowed 10.5 slicks but NHRA only allowed 9.5!". GSL is like any other contest except that it attracts more serious builders and is more fun if you like contests and competitive building. Despite the "press" that this show gets, the atmosphere is quite welcoming and fun. The people who have a problem with GSL are the ones who come in with an attitude where they think the world owes them something because they are so cool!

I will be there and will be having fun.

I'll just repeat my experience with GSL. I'm pretty sure it was 1997...made the long trip to SLC with 5 of my large scale builds. IMO I was treated like a leper. Mark seemed to have a real problem with large scale (there was no category for it), and he seemed more interested in hanging out with the "known" builders. , but this one seemed more like a gathering of the "buddies" to admire each other's work. Just my impression.

To go back 15 years later with all the new scratchbuilding techniques/equipment and aftermarket parts is more for spectators unless you've mastered all the latest trends. IMO.

Did you know that Mark builds large scale? He has a few 1/8th models amongst his vast collection of unfinished projects. Mark gets a little busy while he is running the show. Introduce yourself and chat with the guy when you can. He is one of the friendliest and nicest guys in the hobby.

Did you know that Mark builds large scale? He has a few 1/8th models amongst his vast collection of unfinished projects. Mark gets a little busy while he is running the show. Introduce yourself and chat with the guy when you can. He is one of the friendliest and nicest guys in the hobby.

I had hoped so at the time. Actually, I had traded several emails with him to get more information before I went up. I'm not sure he was doing large scale at the time, and I appreciate all the work that goes into those big meets. It just didn't go well and left a bad taste.

Don't worry about it! Mark is a custom guy! He barely knows a line-loc from a nitrous bottle. It's not like they have a collection of rule books and can say, "Hey! AHRA allowed 10.5 slicks but NHRA only allowed 9.5!". GSL is like any other contest except that it attracts more serious builders and is more fun if you like contests and competitive building. Despite the "press" that this show gets, the atmosphere is quite welcoming and fun. The people who have a problem with GSL are the ones who come in with an attitude where they think the world owes them something because they are so cool!

I will be there and will be having fun.

Thank you Martin. That is pretty much what I thought but just wanted to be sure. I'm not a competitive modeler but because I'm in that part of the country, I'd like to check it out. Hope to make it next year.

My first trip to GSL was in 2003. Bob Paeth and I drove in from Portland when I lived out there for six years. Bob was a veteran of this event but it was my rookie encounter with the event that I had heard so much about and only seen from a magazine. I was pumped to say the least. Standing out in front of the host hotel on the opening morning with Bob, while he reaquainted himself with folks that he hadn't seen in years, a little white Jetta wagon pulls up with a mountain of a man behind the wheel (don't ask me how he fit inside). Mark gets out and starts greeting folks and when he gets to Bob, after his own greeting, Bob introduces me to Mark and I am welcomed in with a hearty handshake as if I had been attending this show for years. From there I was sold.

That first event was a whirlwind for me, so much so that I made it a permanent plan to attend the next two after that. Unfortunately I haven't been able to attend the last two but very much plan to get back next year. I have been to so many contests all across the country and from my experience nothing really compares to Salt Lake. The level of competition is superb, each and every year. There is so much to do and so many great people to meet and strike up conversations with. If you can find the time to break away from the show and it's many seminars and numerous trips through the contest room, then checking out the city of Salt Lake is the thing to do. One of the nicest and cleanest cities you will ever venture to with plenty of history to endure. And who can make the trip to GSL without a stop at Crown Burger for lunch.

Is this show for everyone? Probably not. I'm competitive by nature so I can appreciate the efforts that go into this event to preserve it as one of the premier competitions across the country. But it's just like any other show(s) that so many of us have attended over the years. There will always be someone who walks away thinking that they should have placed higher than the next guy or that they didn't get a fair shake for one reason or another. Almost impossible to avoid those situations in any show, even GSL.

In the event video from 2001 I think Pat Bibeau (spelling?) from Canada stated it best when he said that in most contests if you have 10-12 models entered in a category you can most likely eliminate a portion of the entries and get down to about 4 or 5 that will vie for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place awards. At GSL if there are 10-12 models in a class then it's almost a forgone conclusion that every one of those entries could be a first place winner. So, if just once in your life, if you get the opportunity, you should make plans to attend this contest and see for yourself what it's all about.

Edited by 1320wayne

I'm planning on it for 2013. Tom Coolidge did photography of it for my GSL special issue at the last event. It's one of those events I had always wanted to attend at least once, along with NNL East and the NNL Nationals. I build for myself, not for competition, so I'd likely just put mine on the display only table. I've known Mark for close to 30 years - great guy, but always extremely busy. I've been to the Model Car Museum, but not GSL.

Looking forward to going.