Model Cars Magazine Forum

246 Dino GTS- Fujimi Enthusiast Model

jaymcminn

I didn't really take a lot of WIP shots of this one- it's a simple buildup of a complicated kit. The color is Testors Emerald Green Metallic from the custom lacquer line- it's an excellent match for Ferrari Verde Pino Metalizzo (Pine Green Metallic) which was an available color on the Dino GTS. The only deviations from box stock were the Dino GT script from RMCM, the Dino badge up front from Model Factory Hiro, ignition wiring, and craft-ribbon seat belts for the kit hardware.

The old Dino builds up extremely well- the only gripes are the extreme fragility of some of the incredibly thin kit parts and the large number of mold lines and sink marks that need to be cleaned up. Everything goes together with less drama than you'd expect once the prep and paint is done. The stance and ride height are excellent, but the camber at the rear seemed a little off to me- it took some minor adjustments to get the rear wheels to sit perpendicular to the ground.

Overall I'm very happy with the kit- to be honest, I'm not 100% sure about the color, which looks better in pictures than it does on the shelf. I'll definitely go with a brighter color when I get around to building the coupe version.

On to the pics!

P1010770.jpg

P1010771.jpg

P1010768.jpg

P1010767.jpg

P1010766.jpg

A few more shots- I left the shroud off in the bonnet to show more of the detail up front, such as the master cylinder. I haven't installed the battery under the spare tire yet. Rather than hinge the covers, I just decided to make them removable to better show off the kit's impressive detail.

P1010723.jpg

P1010764.jpg

P1010763.jpg

P1010760.jpg

Edited by jaymcminn

Hey Jason, great job on this one...I know what you had been working, since, my lastest model was the GT Coupe and these are models that can't be done in an afternoon. The color is real different to what one see on these cars, specially the boring red...I like it!

Simón P. Rivera Torres

I was part of the tear-down and restoration of the 1:1 of this type Dino. Your model is beautifully built and finished. It can be prototypically more correct with zero or a bit of negative rear camber and a slightly lower ride height.

Great, meticulous job.

Hey Jason, great job on this one...I know what you had been working, since, my lastest model was the GT Coupe and these are models that can't be done in an afternoon. The color is real different to what one see on these cars, specially the boring red...I like it!

Simón P. Rivera Torres

Simon, somehow I missed your build of the Dino with the MFH detail set. I just checked it out- amazing work!

If those windshield wipers are from the kit (I assume they are)... that really reinforces my previous post regarding molded-in wipers on new kits.

If Fujimi can do a beautiful pair of wipers like this, why can't everyone else?

I was part of the tear-down and restoration of the 1:1 of this type Dino. Your model is beautifully built and finished. It can be prototypically more correct with zero or a bit of negative rear camber and a slightly lower ride height.

Great, meticulous job.

Thanks, Cato. There was actually a ton of positive camber built into the kit's rear suspension- of course I found out about that pretty late in the assembly process. I straightened it out as much as possible without tearing everything back down- I'll factor that in when I build the coupe in the future. I greatly appreciate the input from someone familiar with the 1:1!

If those windshield wipers are from the kit (I assume they are)... that really reinforces my previous post regarding molded-in wipers on new kits.

If Fujimi can do a beautiful pair of wipers like this, why can't everyone else?

Harry, those are definitely the kit wipers. They're not chromed, which is why they're so delicate. I sprayed them with Alclad.

That 1:1 restoration picture is pretty scary. I used to get my Alfa GT serviced at a shop where they were restoring a 246 GTS, and it appears Ferrari made a blooper when they switched from aluminum Dino bodies to poor-quality steel for the 246, which turned the cars into rust buckets after a few years - same deal with Alfas of the era.

Edited by sjordan2

Ferrari made a blooper when they switched from aluminum Dino bodies to poor-quality steel for the 246, which turned the cars into rust buckets after a few years - same deal with Alfas of the era.

Correct Skip. When we pulled the belly pan, you should have seen the main chassis members and fiberglass floor pan. A water trap. And this was a California car and garage kept it's whole life but driven daily. A lot of time spent blasting and wire brushing...

It's the bane of '70s Italian cars- great design and fantastic engineering brought down by poor quality control and steel with all the structural integrity of wet lasagne. Fortunately styrene doesn't rust... unless you're Dr. Cranky.

Edited by jaymcminn

• 5 weeks later...