Model Cars Magazine Forum

Buick Grand National Dual-build, '85 and '87

Chief Joseph

My favorite car!! I know your attention to detail so these should be very impressive when finished! I had intentions of building a super detailed one but then I found out about the GMP Grand National and GNX and just bought a few of those instead! :)

Joseph, Have you done anymore work on these?

Mike.

I hope so too.

i'm interested about the differences between both years. perhaps, you can Show them side to side?

I've built the same GNX about three years ago and never noticed, that the windows have different sizes...days ago, i took him on the bench for a "short" restoring..."paintcracks"...now i mast take a closer look on it.

your photo etched parts are amazing! something, i would like to have too.

Oh, man, this old thread came back to life just like a walker on "The Walking Dead" :D

Not much more ever happened with these models, unfortunately. There was just never enough time left over after meeting all my other obligations to work on my own models. Still isn't! Plus, my OCD makes it difficult to complete things I really care about (I always re-do things and I'm never quite satisfied). On the plus side, I've been able to share some of the work I did on these models in the form of my Eagle GT tire and Vector wheel sets.

But I did build a turbo 3.8 motor last year just as a little excercise:

JO018226_zps72f905b7.jpg

JO018230_zps4fc0fcf0.jpg

Thanks very much, fellows.

@crowe-t: I think I used old Metalizers when I painted the motor/trans. I don't recall using any Alclads, but I could be wrong. It's been about a year. The goal of the exercise was to simulate a motor that had been in a street car for about 10 years and had accumulated some grime and discoloration. The turbo's heat shield is a bit overdone-- it should never get that dirty.

@gearhedjon: The Turbo TA's setup was similar to the 84-85 Buick hot air turbo, but the latter was fuel-injected. The Turbo TA was in fact very close to the older carbureted Buick turbo. If the hood is closed, there's no need for me to get all OCD about the details on the motor!

Oh, man, this old thread came back to life just like a walker on "The Walking Dead" :D

Not much more ever happened with these models, unfortunately. There was just never enough time left over after meeting all my other obligations to work on my own models. Still isn't! Plus, my OCD makes it difficult to complete things I really care about (I always re-do things and I'm never quite satisfied). On the plus side, I've been able to share some of the work I did on these models in the form of my Eagle GT tire and Vector wheel sets.

But I did build a turbo 3.8 motor last year just as a little excercise:

JO018226_zps72f905b7.jpg

JO018230_zps4fc0fcf0.jpg

The weathering on the motor and trans is amazing

• 1 year later...

I have been drooling over the goodies at

Joseph's website for ages, so I'm real glad this

popped back up so I could share in the fun too!!

Please wipe the dust off for us and get those

GN's a rolling again.

"If you build them we'll watch",

David S.

• 2 weeks later...