Model Cars Magazine Forum

P51 Belly tank Salt Flats Racer

59 Impala

Here are some more pics of the build. Hope ya like.

This pic shows the 49 Merc engine with a 40 Ford tranny I used cause the Merc's tranny is to long. Also, the radiator is a 49 and 50 Ford radiators cut down and sandwiched together and the 49 top was used to cover them both. I also hard piped the water lines instead of using hoses. The seat is from the parts box as is the roll bar. The exhausts are custom ones from a Corvette cut down and installed on the sides.

DSC01850.jpg

The front and rear axles are from a 32 Ford. The front wheels are from a 29 Ford and the rear ones are from the 32 Ford. On the bottom are two fuel cells made from drop tanks from 1/72nd scale planes. I'm really enjoying building this model as this is another first for me to do.

DSC01856.jpg

DSC01857.jpg

Thanks fer lookin. Dan

Thanks guys. Mark, it's a 1/24th scale P51 belly tank that one of the guys in my club gave me for this project. I don't know what kit it came from. For some reason I've started building Land Speed cars. Why, I don't really know. I have always been interested in them and you don't see many in kit form. I've built a French jet fighter into a LSR and am working on a MIG 21. I will keep the pics coming as I go along, so, stay tuned. Dan

Thanks guys. I don't know about guts or not, but, I do have a fasination for these cars. Plus, it's something really different. I'm having a lot of fun doing this. The going is kinda slow though. I've never done this before and I'm learning as I go along. Stay tuned. :lol: Dan

If it's 1/24, it's either the old Airfix kit or the fairly recent Trumpeter kit.

In a German museum, I saw a Harley sidecar rig with a sidecar made out of a 500lb bomb casing. It was very art deco-looking. The case had been polished up and it was all nice and aerodynamic looking.

Cool model, btw.

• 2 weeks later...