Model Cars Magazine Forum

I got the Allison from ebay a while back. I really don't know squat about Allison engines, as a kid I remember an old White cabover drag truck that had an Allison engine in it. I thought that was the coolest looking thing in the world!

If anyone has a reference photo's or a good knowledge of these engines, I could really use some help detailing this thing.

Cleaning up the frame a bit. I cut off the back of the stock frame after the glue on the new rails dried. I also cut off the extensions where the cab mounts were. I'll wait until I have the suspension mount in to cut the rest of the floor pan out, it's adding strength to it for now.

I also guessed at the length of the frame, there's a good chance I'll be shortening it a bit. Unless I build a sleeper for it. : :) ;D

P3270436.jpg

This is the trailer the Deora will be pulling,

http://www.modelcars...l=&fromsearch=1

And this is the cargo,

http://www.modelcars...l=&fromsearch=1

Edited by Psychographic

The Allison engine is from an AMT Parts Pack. You can find them on ebay all day long.

The COE with an Allsion was built by Jim Lytle and called "Big Al III". It was later bought by Tex Collins and renamed "The Bad Brahma Bull". Pics and info are not easy to find. Somewhere around I have a backissue of New Zealand Hot Rod magazine with a story on Jim Lytle, with pictures of his Allison-powered vehicles; the White COE, BMW Isetta, Quad Al, and of course Big Al.

JimLytle_03_700.jpg

Edited by LDO

The Allison engine is from an AMT Parts Pack. You can find them on ebay all day long.

The COE with an Allsion was built by Jim Lytle and called "Big Al III". It was later bought by Tex Collins and renamed "The Bad Brahma Bull". Pics and info are not easy to find. Somewhere around I have a backissue of New Zealand Hot Rod magazine with a story on Jim Lytle, with pictures of his Allison-powered vehicles; the White COE, BMW Isetta, Quad Al, and of course Big Al.

JimLytle_03_700.jpg

Thanks for that info, I searched Big Al plenty of times and never found anything.

It looked much, MUCH better as Big All 3. Upper right corner of the pic below.

photo-4Jim_Lytle_poster.jpg

The Allison V-12 was 1710 cubic inches and it's final WWII version put out about 1500hp. The parts pack represents a supercharged only engine that put out about 1200hp. Modern technology has these engines putting out over 3000hp with multiple turbos and fuel injected alcohol. The best sources for info about these engines is tractor pull sites as they are about the only users left for auto related mods. Here are some reference pics.

history0323_1.jpg

070105-F-1234S-001.jpg

A local (to me) legend by the name of EJ Potter (aka The Michigan Madman) used quite a few of these Allison engines in his exhibition drag cars and pulling tractors. Apparently there was even a W-24 variant developed during WWII. The project was scrapped when development of the planes they were intended for, but a few engines were built for testing. They were essentially two V-12's 'joined at the hip'. This is a photo of one from his autobiography-

IMG_34351-vi.jpg

According to Wikipedia, only 150 or so of these W24s were built (compared to some 7,000 V-12s). They were designated V-3420s,V-1710 was the V12 engine depicted in the AMT kit.

Edited by Chuck Most

wait...an Allison powered BMW ISETTA?

do you have any idea how small that car is? (there was a four passenger model too so maybe thats what this is?)

incredible.

sweet build here too! i am itching to use an Allison motor in something.

• 3 weeks later...

wait...an Allison powered BMW ISETTA?

do you have any idea how small that car is? (there was a four passenger model too so maybe thats what this is?)

incredible.

sweet build here too! i am itching to use an Allison motor in something.

No it was the single seater. If you do a search on google you can see pictures. Its all engine with a drivers seat behind it and a couple of axles.

bobthehobbyguy

The stock Isetta was a 2 seater. But the raildragster was of course a singelseater. There have been rails with all kind of microcar bodies. Actually not only as modelcars, but in real life as well.

Hot Wheels have one wild Isetta with the body ahead of a wild engine, and a topfuelwing. If You dare sitting over the front axel of a topfueler, You might find it thrilling. :lol:

Love this Deora project. I find my self playing with the idea using traditional parts only. Dropping the engine, for a GMC turbin. and using a two tonne chassis.

Edited by Bugace