Model Cars Magazine Forum

Getting the school kids involved, hopefuly....

I have a very good friend by the name of Charles Glass. He is a member of both of the same model car clubs that I belong to here in Maryland. Last week, he thought of something very cool and I thought I would help out as he requested of me. He works for a High School in Havre de Grace, Maryland and he is trying to start a workshop with some of the kids in the school to try to get them interested in building models.

He requested the keys to one of the display cases at the main entrance of the school so that we may display our models. He even went as far as to display some of the magazines in which he has been featured along with the models and also added a few model car boxes for the kids to see.

I decided to take a few pictures of what we did and I hope some of us can probably come up with the same idea, I thought it was brilliant of him to do so and I want to thank him for taking the time to do this. He brought 12 models from his house so most of the ones in the pictures are his, as you can see he is a great builder and I am proud to be able to show his work for you guys here. Hopefully this can lead to something positive, we need to keep this hobby alive!

avreDeGraceHSmodelcarphotos008-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

avreDeGraceHSmodelcarphotos027-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

avreDeGraceHSmodelcarphotos009-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

avreDeGraceHSmodelcarphotos012-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

avreDeGraceHSmodelcarphotos013-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Edited by cruz

Now thats a teacher,, awesome work,,hope and pray that he gets the golden apple,, not to many teachers will go that extra mile to get kids involved in something besides video games,, KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK

When l was in the 8th grade the principal of our middle school started a model club for the students. We met in the science room every friday after school for an hour. It gradually grew from a handful of us to a room full of young builders. lt can be done with dedicated tutors like your friend. Good luck with your project, l hope it works out well for the kids.

Great idea. Public library's are open to this type of promotion, too.

Very much so. For that reason I'd recommend having the display go beyond crafting by showing how modeling is an avenue of discovery to other interest areas.

When our club set up in our public library's lobby display windows with books and other material, the resource administrators said it was the most popular display they'd had. So we did it a couple more years. Of course it was a tad self serving because it promoted our annual contest but I admit it certainly brought to life a connection between reading, modeling and the interest areas that modeling represents... across all modeling subjects.

The models are what get people looking but the research, regardless of how casual, is an aspect that may not occur to non-modelers until a light goes off and suddenly modeling seems more valid.