Model Cars Magazine Forum

49 merc convertible boot

I know there are no 49 merc convertible kits, so I am building one. I've tried the 50 ford, 53 ford (lindberg) and old 48 Ford Testors. That was all the boots I had. Is there something else close enough to make work by modifying. Anyone tried a 51 Chevy boot, I don"t have one.

Any ideas ????????????????

Can't you just make one? First get the size & shape in cardboard, then transfer to plastic. To get a 3 dimensional thickness, use bondo or epoxy putty. For texture, delaminate a Kleenex, coat the part w/ liquid cement, and lay the tissue down on it, working it down. Wire or pinheads could represent the snaps.

An alternative of the above, is to use it as a mold, and vacuform copies.

Thanks for help so far guys. Yes Jon I was going to try to make them if I couldn't find something. I need 2 (1 for my 1950 Merc Indy pace car) and 1 for a conv custom. I am pretty good cutting up bodies but I don't know about making a boot. LOL What do you mean by delaminate the tissue. Peel apart like toilet paper ? (split in half). I think your saying, thin coat of glue, lay tissue over top of it,work it down flat, let it absorb the glue, then let it dry, then paint.Does that sound right. What glue, besides epoxy I also have a thinner wood glue - and elmers would probably not stick well enough however.

I looked in my Modelhaus catalog - they don't have one either. They do have a 50 Merc dash. Tried my Indy pace 1955 Chevy and 1964 Mustang - no go. I could modify anything (I think) but I want to start with something close. The Merc is to wide for all that I tried.