Model Cars Magazine Forum

What is the best way to lay out a two tone paint using HOK Shimirin2 FX base coats using line O tape for the two tone line

A paint scheme layout is determimed by the shape of the body or your own personal taste.

Body Prep, proper easy release tape, possible use of InterCoat Clears. and more are essential to creating a two tone.

What exactly is your question??

CadillacPat

Not necessarily, but after you lay down the tape, I would suggest a little bit of SG100 to seal in gaps in order not to get jagged edges, etc . . . and then pull the tape at an angle a little against itself so that it cuts in smooth straight lines. Good luck.

the sg100 will act as somewhat of a "barrier" and would allow tapeouts (masking for graphics) without the inherent risk of marring or removing the underlying paint. I personally use the stuff quite a lot. I wouldn't go with too many coats of the sg100...maybe 2. I believe that HOK recommends no more than 4 coats.

As doc stated, you can use it to help reduce the edge that would be left from the paint build up on the "line".

And, if you are going to leave it for more than 4 hours after sg100, you'll need to LIGHTLY scuff with a fine scotchbrite pad before any recoating takes place. When removing the tape, be sure that you have alowed ample flash time (time to allow the solvents to evaporate off). But, if it is Shimrin2, it would be waterborn and a little different. You might want to check the tech sheets for the Shimrin2 line and see what they recommend for flash times. I believe that you could use a hair dryer to accelerate the flash time, but don't quote me on that.

here's a link to the HOK tech sheets... http://houseofkolor.com/PDF/TechData/English/HOKTechManual.pdf

page 19 is where they discuss S2-SG100.

Hopefully, I have helped you and not confused you more. There are a few HOK "Experts" here on the forum and one of them may chime in to assist...I'm just giving you a little help and advice that I have learned over the years.