Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fujimi Pantera GTS

Gregg

I received this from Hobby Link Japan a little while ago, and with the down time I had recently, I put the almost finishing touches to it.

It's a real simple kit, curbside at it's finest form, and it went together perfectly.

My only complaint is the side windows: they are bowed, not straight like the real car. Easy to fix with sheet clear acetate, but this is a box-stock build/review.

post-3-0-78393500-1336726648_thumb.jpg

Box:

post-3-0-02962400-1336727015_thumb.jpg

The Parts:

post-3-0-21991900-1336727216_thumb.jpg

Body:

post-3-0-34314500-1336727054_thumb.jpg

It was a fun build, and if I took some time on it, it could be even better.

http://www.hlj.com/product/FUJ12553

It's out of stock right now, but it should be back on the shelves soon.

It captures the look of the real car well. I'm hoping to see a version with the fat fender flares released.

The new Fujimi kit is actually based on an old release available from Gunze in the 80's that did have the fat fenders. They pop up frequently on Ebay. This pic is of the Testors release.

box405-vi.jpg

I always liked the Pantera's. I remember seeing 2 (1 yellow and 1 red) for sale across from my first job. I'd just sit and stare at them wishing I could afford something like them. But...at 17, there was no way working for minimum wage ($3.33 in 1987) as a dishwasher and in high school. I do have the Testor's kit in my stash. It's too bad there isn't a full detail kit...that I know of besides the 1/18th scale die-cast I put together years ago.

That old Gunze kit, is the same as Airfix did as well(I'm not sure if it was in MPC's lineup as well). That kit was made with the possibillity to put a battery operated engine in them. Even less parts. So if the masterbuilder started with that old kit, he did one very good job making this master.

Anyway I wish one of these, and hope for some nice detailkits for it, so I could build it full detail. Now I need to secure a old Monogram Mustang, engine, and maybe Fujimis Ford GT40 as well. :P

Are you sure about that?

I guess not... the chassis breakdown, etc. look really similar to the old Gunze kit, but it's been a few years since I've seen one of those. Rob seems to have a better handle on this than I do... it's a welcome addition to Fujimi's lineup in any case.

The vintage Testors boxed kit is not Fujimi. It's Gunze Sangyo's kit.

Fujimi will be releasing a second variant to this kit shortly, a non-GTS version (kit #12257) that represents the baseline model as introduced in 1970. That one has a place in my collection for sure.

In my opinion, your better off with the 351C from the '70 Mach 1 and the transaxle from the Series One.

Absolutely. I can';t speak for the last Pantera production runs, but the original cars that came to the USA were all powered by Cleveland engines. Either swipe it out of the Revell '70 Mach I Mustang, or use the resin example from Scale Modeling By Chris and modify the engine accordingly.

Absolutely. I can';t speak for the last Pantera production runs, but the original cars that came to the USA were all powered by Cleveland engines. Either swipe it out of the Revell '70 Mach I Mustang, or use the resin example from Scale Modeling By Chris and modify the engine accordingly.

From about the early to mid 80's they used Austrailian Clevelands til about 88 when they ran out and started using the 385 horse Windsor crate motors then in 90 or 91 they went to a 302ci

I have the origianal Gunze Sangyo kit, and like the other 3 Gunze Sangyo kits I have from the mid 80s-early 90's, the tires rotted off in just a few years. These had a low profile tire I was never able to find soemthign to replace it with, without changing the wheels, too.

Buddy of mine used to have one. Do NOT ride in one if you don't like a lot of attention.

I will say, Running down the road at a 'some what slighly more than the posted speed limit ' with a pretty healthy small block ford screaming right behind your head is pretty wild to say the least

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like I may have to put this one on my "Buy" list :) !!! Don't tell the wife though, she says I have enough kits that I need to finish already :huh:. Plus she just busted me trying to print one of Hobby Lobby's 40% off coupons :angry: ).

Did you try to tell her it was for her craft stuff? :P