Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya 1/12 Scale Porsche 935 - Warning - Lots of pics

I completed this about 8 months ago (after working on it off and on for a year :roll: ) and I'm finally getting around to taking some pictures of it. Taking pictures of a 12th scale model really makes me realize how much I need a better camera.

Thanks to Gregg and Jairus a picture of this car ended up in the Contest Edition of Model Cars Magazine.

My intentions with this model were:1) To build a model now that I tried to build years ago and failed miserably at, and 2) To take what Tamiya gives us and try to do the best I could with it with minimal aftermarket items.

However, I did add some extra wiring and hoses, I did modify some of the kit parts and I used a lot of dry brushing, washes and texturing of plastic parts and I even made a few parts like the window net and rear window braces, I even made working hood pin latches with a pin and overlapping ring but they are a pain in the A** to put on and take off so they aren't shown in these pictures. I painted with colors/finishes that I thought looked more realistic than the recommended Tamiya paint colors referred to in the instructions. My reference, for the most part, was SMS Photo CD of the 935 along with what I could find on the internet.

It's not the most detailed model ever built of this car and there are some things I would do differently if I ever built it again but I must admit, that overall, I'm pretty happy with this build.

Thanks for looking...

100_0968.jpg

100_0974.jpg

100_0975.jpg

100_0976.jpg

100_0984.jpg

100_0986.jpg

100_0991.jpg

100_0994.jpg

100_0997.jpg

100_1001.jpg

100_1002.jpg

100_1003.jpg

100_1007.jpg

100_1009.jpg

100_1012.jpg

100_1013.jpg

100_1017.jpg

100_1019.jpg

100_1020.jpg

100_1026.jpg

More pictures, if you're interested, are here:

http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y197/just...0Porsche%20935/

Eric I did not get to see this in Atlanta Last year, please bring it again.. I will be there this year.... and I would love to see it in person... didnt you win best Porsche theme with this one?

Stunning model....

DaveT

Thanks everyone...

Dave, yep, this is the one but I would argue that there were better built Porsches there.

• 6 years later...

Stunning. You have accomplished your goal of the best you can get out of this kit, without too much aftermarket stuff. One of the cleanest builds, I've seen. Detailing & realism at it's best. My hat is off, to you, sir.

I too, would like to know, how you made the bare fiberglass pieces, look like fiberglass. Colors, technique, etc.

Jeff

Wow.... thanks Guys. This was a long time ago.

Anyway, the fiberglass look was achieved by place a small weave clothe, sort of like a wedding veil material on the plastic part then basically brush painting liquid cement over the material, letting it soak through the material, softening the plastic and then pressing the material into the plastic. once the plastic hardens again as the cement dries you'll end up with this texture. It can also be done with those small clothes used to clean eye glasses for a more random texture.

There is a tutorial on the internet somewhere that I made years ago with photos and descriptions at each step. I'll see if I can locate it and post it here.

Stunning. You have accomplished your goal of the best you can get out of this kit, without too much aftermarket stuff. One of the cleanest builds, I've seen. Detailing & realism at it's best. My hat is off, to you, sir.

I too, would like to know, how you made the bare fiberglass pieces, look like fiberglass. Colors, technique, etc.

Jeff

I too would like admission to that tutorial!!!!

Joe.

Wow.... thanks Guys. This was a long time ago.

Anyway, the fiberglass look was achieved by place a small weave clothe, sort of like a wedding veil material on the plastic part then basically brush painting liquid cement over the material, letting it soak through the material, softening the plastic and then pressing the material into the plastic. once the plastic hardens again as the cement dries you'll end up with this texture. It can also be done with those small clothes used to clean eye glasses for a more random texture.

There is a tutorial on the internet somewhere that I made years ago with photos and descriptions at each step. I'll see if I can locate it and post it here.

What color did you paint the parts, after you did the texture?