Model Cars Magazine Forum

Carroll Shelby tribute community build.

wgflatliner

Mine is about 75% complete. I got the chassis put together with the interior. The body is curing with the clear coat. I opted to do a single wide white stripe and will be doing the short windshield and removable tonneau cover over the passenger seat.

I need to finish the wheels with aluminum next and get them installed and maybe accent with a gunmetal or exhaust colored inserts.

So I'm in the final stages and will get pics when it's done.

I'm still trying to decide what to build for a Tribute , so I dug out something I started a looong time ago ! Back in 1982 I started a 1/16 Cobra modeled after the Steve Arntz Replica that was on the cover of Hot Rod in 1979 . Using the MPC kit , I scratch built the frame and suspension using brass tubing . I just unboxed it for the first time this past weekend and took these photos .

1.jpg

It's pretty banged up and the paint has yellowed . It was Bright Red with a Bright White stripe !

The interior panels are aluminum and have oxidized pretty badly .

3.jpg

Overall , I think it looks pretty crude and may not be worth rebuilding . I have anither MPC kit that hasn't been touched yet .

4.jpg

This shot shows the front frame extension is broken . Also the working suspension can be seen .

5.jpg

Bottom views showing the frame and all the plumbing . One of the lower control arms is broken . I'm not sure why the rear links are rect. tubing , and there are no uppers !

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

The braided hoses are the shielding found in electronic wiring . It looks pretty bad compared with what we have available today .

12.jpg

The fuel tank is an R/C item and the battery must be from the kit .

14.jpg

That aluminum floor is probabably the worst part of this thing !

17.jpg

Okay , like I said it's probably not worth saving , but I'm looking for ideas . Save all or part ? Or set it aside and start over .

I got carried away with the photos , didn't mean to take up so much space .

I really need some input on this one !

BOB .

I'm still trying to decide what to build for a Tribute , so I dug out something I started a looong time ago ! Back in 1982 I started a 1/16 Cobra modeled after the Steve Arntz Replica that was on the cover of Hot Rod in 1979 . Using the MPC kit , I scratch built the frame and suspension using brass tubing . I just unboxed it for the first time this past weekend and took these photos .

1.jpg

It's pretty banged up and the paint has yellowed . It was Bright Red with a Bright White stripe !

3.jpg

Overall , I think it looks pretty crude and may not be worth rebuilding . I have anither MPC kit that hasn't been touched yet .

4.jpg

This shot shows the front frame extension is broken . Also the working suspension can be seen .

5.jpg

Bottom views showing the frame and all the plumbing . One of the lower control arms is broken . I'm not sure why the rear links are rect. tubing , and there are no uppers !

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

The braided hoses are the shielding found in electronic wiring . It looks pretty bad compared with what we have available today .

12.jpg

14.jpg

17.jpg

Okay , like I said it's probably not worth saving , but I'm looking for ideas . Save all or part ? Or set it aside and start over .

BOB .

This may not be the most accurate Cobra chassis, but you certainly put a lot of effort and thought into it. I'm sure that your skills have come a long way since '82 and this would make for an excellent foundation for a future project. No matter what you decide, I'm sure that your next Cobra buld will turn out great.

1.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

12.jpg

14.jpg

17.jpg

BOB .

I know the paint yellowed but it still looks good red and yellow.

Thanks Steve , Ray , and Patrick . I appreciate your comments . When I did this build , I had never seen a Cobra in person and really was working from pictures in Magazines .

Alot has changed in the last 30 years ! I boxed it back up the way I found it , and will save it for another time . I plan on building a new Cobra using the kit I have and everything I've learned since then .

I hope there is no deadline for this CBP . I might be awhile .

BOB .

Bob I gotta tell you I am very impressed with the level of detail on that cobra. Incredible. I can only hope to some day aspire to your level of expertise. In the mean time I do have a GT350H I've been wanting to get to so this is a good excuse. Count me in.

• 2 weeks later...

Had my laptop crash on the the other morning, so had to put a halt on this build...so I will be using the laptop as a place to snap pics, until I get it fixed (if its fixable)...

Finally got a chance to work on my Cobra. I dont all this today...got just about everything ready for assembly. Just need to clear the body and add the small pieces afterwards. I had initially planned on wrapping the body in BMF (after getting hood wrapped within 2 hours, the body did not coporate as well) but ended up going yellow. I will be using the cover for the pass side of the car. Hope to get it finished before the weekend.

DSCN3480.jpg

yeah i think they look amazing in yellow. Would look better with black stripes, but this one got the stripe delete option lol. Hoping to have it done a little later tonight, but probably this weekend...got the clear sprayed today, not just all the little details. thanks for the comments.