Model Cars Magazine Forum

Dodge L-700 Drag Car Hauler Truck

Gents - the SLM group is doing a dio, in case you haven't heard, so I volunteered to build a drag car hauler. Now the premise for this dio is it takes place in early July 1967 somewhere in the midwest. Phil sent me the Dodge semi which had to be lengthened and I'm in the process of building the ramp bed which will have a few opening storage doors and some weathering.

I spent a good portion of this afternoon continuing the bed but ran out of time to take some pix so here's some earlier progress pix to give you the idea.

I'm not sure of paint colors or scheme yet as this is being built to haul another member's build so at the moment, I don't know the finish.

FrameMockup-vi.jpg

The vertical portion was built oversized so I could figure out just what height I wanted it when it was in the mock-up stage. I've made the adjustments as indicated in red. Updated pix to follow...

MockUpAdjustments-vi.jpg

Stay tuned and any input/suggestions are welcomed as I know little of these big rigs. Thanks for following along.

Edited by gasser59

Thanks guys. I especially like the Tommy Ivo truck pic. I've seen this before but didn't realize it was the Dodge L-700 cab that was used for this. BTW - this kit is still available and I found it on Amazon. Its the truck, flat bed trailer and a '40 Ford. I didn't get the box since I got it from one of the SLM guys who kept the car but here's a pic from the web.

L700KitPic-vi.jpg

I've gotten a bit more done on this and I'll post some pics later this morning. Its slow going but its progressing.

Edited by gasser59

As promised, here's a few progress pics. As you can see, one access door on each side of the hauler will be opening up for display purposes. The right side has the non-functioning doors glued in place and am still working on the driver's side. For the hinges, I'm using printing plate rolled around 0.25" steel piano wire which will be bent and attached to the body of the hauler. The actual doors are 0.15" syrene glued to an inner portion which is 0.26" and small enough to fit inside the door opening. Hope that makes sense. More on the hinges and doors later once I actually get one mounted.

RightSide1-vi.jpg

LeftSide1-vi.jpg

HingeTop1-vi.jpg

Hinge1-vi.jpg

Thanks for following along and comments welcome.

Edited by gasser59

As promised, here's a few progress pics. As you can see, one access door on each side of the hauler will be opening up for display purposes. The right side has the non-functioning doors glued in place and am still working on the driver's side. For the hinges, I'm using printing plate rolled around 0.25" steel piano wire which will be bent and attached to the body of the hauler. The actual doors are 0.15" syrene glued to an inner portion which is 0.26" and small enough to fit inside the door opening. Hope that makes sense. More on the hinges and doors later once I actually get one mounted.

LeftSide1.jpg

RightSide1.jpg

RightSideCloseUp.jpg

HingeTop1.jpg

Hinge1.jpg

Thanks for following along and comments welcome.

Great job so far where the hell can I pickup some printer plate

John

OK guys, I know its been a bit of time in coming but I was finally able to work out the details of the functioning hinges and one of the doors is done. As mentioned above, the actual hinges are made from printing plate wrapped around piano wire. This wire was bent into an 'L' and drilled into the body. That part was easy. I didn't want much of the hinge to show when the doors were mounted up so I had to make a door liner out of two different thicknesses of sheet styrene. The inside one is from .015" and notched out for the hinge and the outside one is .025" and not notched out to cover up the hinges and notches. This also keeps the doors from falling off in the closed position when the final truck build is moved around. Not knowing just how often and where its going to end up, the SLM diorama will be moved around and shipped different places for display.

Showing open door and hinges.

OpenDoor2-vi.jpg

Showing open door and hinges with the two door liners hiding hinge bases.

OpenDoor1-vi.jpg

Door in closed position.

ClosedDoor1-vi.jpg

Next up is the other side with a horizontal door. It may get an arm/brace to help support it. I'll figure that out once the hinges are complete. Thanks for following along.

Edited by gasser59