Model Cars Magazine Forum

Updating my old Dupont Monte Carlo

Toast

I built this kit Quite a few years ago. Always had fun building the Monogram Cup cars. Unfortunately I rushed the body to get it entered into a contest and the result wasn't great. The one thing I didn't like about the first Monte Carlo kits was how the body curled in at the bottom of the rocker panels. Before they started making the kits with the slab style bodies I decided I was going to finish another body and take much more time on it. Well, umteen years later, I pulled this puppy out of storage and figured all the hard work was already done. All I had to do was clean it up and get some paint and decals on it.

On to the progress. . . Here's the extra material to make the body continue straight down.

Models013.jpg

And the rear got some attention as well.

Cars003.jpg

This is how it looked when I pulled it out of storage.

Models006.jpg

Ready for some detail painting.

Models031.jpg

Out with the old and (almost) in with the new! I've got a set of Slixx decals to go on the new body.

Models080.jpg

Also a nice gauge of how far you've come in skills. I go back to my early builds every once in a while when I'm blocked for inspiration, it helps except I want to redo them all :D ! The new rainbow car is looking good.

• 2 years later...

Gary's (impcon) thread about restoring old models and glue bombs reminded me that I never posted the finished result of this restoration.

Here they are side by side.

Models102.jpg

You can really see the difference the slab side makes in this picture. Also the small amount added to the bottom of the rear qurter.

Models105.jpg

these pictures show how much higher quality the Slixx decals were compared to the Box decals below.

Models111.jpg

Models112.jpg

One last shot to show off the new body work.

Models116.jpg

Thanks for looking.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...