Model Cars Magazine Forum

'70 Chevelle 2012 Revell-Gearz entry, in April 'other' mag: whoopee!

Ace-Garageguy

I haven't finished anything in years, but the 2012 Revell-Gearz contest was the inspiration I needed, I guess. Just got it in at about 7:00 PM.

DSCN5573.jpg

DSCN5585.jpg

DSCN5554.jpg

Scale 4" chop, de-chromed body and flush-fitted windshield; Corvette C5-R chassis stretched using the original Chevelle center pan and a partially scratch-built cage and fuel tanks; Chevelle kit 454 modified with front blower and magneto, custom through-frame exhausts; filled parking lights and reshaped, narrowed and painted front bumper; Hood opened up for radiator duct with scratch-built gills; Deckild opened with through-panel vintage Indy-car fuel filler; custom rear panel with C5 taillights and rolled pan; Optional Chevelle-kit chrome wheels with custom alloy rims.Testors Flaming Orange lacquer and 4 coats of clear.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Like 2

Spectacular indeed, and BEAUTIFUL. What a fabulous model, and color wise, it really is something else.

William, you gotta share more of your work with us, and Welcome to the forum. Hang around and share the eye candy, please.

I've had the opportunity to check out a chopped 1:1 '70 Chevelle and I'm here to tell you that it isn't nearly as straightforward as a chop on most other cars. One look at the sail panel tells me that this isn't the sort of thing for the faint of heart. Then to get it all to line up so that the flush-fit windshield can actually fit flush... Man, this model isn't just a home run, it's a grand slam! As the good doctor requested, PLEASE share more of your work with us.

This is very original-and very awesome.what kind of paint/color did you use?

Thank you. The paint is Testor's rattle-can Flaming Orange "one coat" lacquer, 5 coats actually, over white Duplicolor primer (over gray high-build Duplicolor primer) and 4 coats of Testor's "wet look" clear, the top surfaces sanded and polished.

1) Nice to see you over here, Ace. super.gif

2) Nice to see a completed build. Your starts are always so spectacularly promising and your skills so tantalizingly apparent. super.gif

3) Which leads me to 3 - This build really struts its stuff; beautiful proportions, highly original and out-of-the-box within this idiom, and fine, fine, super-fine on the technical level. Oh yeah, and the color is nice, too! super.gifsuper.gifok.gif

What was it about the Gearz contest that prompted this?! :lol::DB)

Thanks very much, Bernard.

To answer your question, I guess it was the twin challenges to complete something by a deadline and the requirement to work outside of my particular box, which doesn't usually include muscle-cars, that prompted me to go for it. I had been thinking of doing something similar with an AMT '69 Trans Am shell I had, but when the Gearz contest came up, I started wondering how the same treatment would work on the Chevelle. I looked at pix of the car in 1:1 chopped, and thought most of them kinda missed the mark, flow-wise, so it became a challenge all around. Once I got into the kit itself and found it had some issues, primarily mold parting-lines badly messing with the character lines on the front fenders, it was starting to look like I'd never make it. I had originally planned to do Lambo-style doors too, but thankfully a friend talked me out of it. I just barely made the deadline as it was. I made plenty of mistakes during the build I had to correct too.

I have a history of not completing my own projects that seem to start well, and I felt if I really held my feet to the fire, so to speak, on this one, maybe I could finally break that bad habit. All of the builds I have going are experimental in one way or another, and I've been polishing old skills and learning new ones for the past 5 years after about 40 away from the hobby. I'd sometimes get to a point where a build would require me to stretch my abilities a little more than I was comfortable with, and I'd shelve it rather than risk screwing something up that already had a lot of time in it.

But it just seemed that everything lined up to make it happen now, and I figured if I let myself slide another year or waited for another contest, I'd probably never finish anything.

You asked. And thanks again.