Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bertha, the White 9064

Man, thats alot of trucks!!! Specially towards the end, if ur gonna build all those guys waitin to get fuel!!! The "main characters" wont be as bad! Lol

I don't know if I have the time, money or sanity to do all of the trucks in the refueling scene or the ones that Curt and Connie passed on the highway, but I definitely will be tackling all the ones that had a fair amount of screen time.

About what year is that beast, anyway? Mid-to-late 1960's or is it 1970's vintage?

If I'm correct, (and there definitely is room for error on my part) it's an early 60s model. Not later than a 64 I'd believe. I was actually using reference photos from a 64 9000. I built the radiator shell by that reference, and then noticed that on Bertha the grill bezel is actually a bit wider on the sides, so I had to go back and add a bit more width to make it accurate. Not sure if the different bezel size signifies it as an earlier or later model than 64 or if the different bezel was just another customization option.

Bertha's looking a little rough! Going to be using a lot of Rust-all on that one!

I was expecting to spend tons of time on rust on this old girl. Ever since I first watched it as a kid I always thought the truck was completely brown because it was a huge rust bucket, but over the years I've come to realize that the "brown" is just a really faded, dirty maroon colour. I looked around and found that maroon was definitely offered as one of the colour options for this truck, so it'll be way less rust work. Still a fair bit on the frame and boom though.

Working a bit on the... my brain won't let me think of the proper word for them... vents is the only word I can think of.

Just a test fit. Gonna get some styrene rods to replace the brass rods, and everything will be straightened up and made a bit neater. The vents will be able to close as well, as you can see.

IMG_0485.jpg

IMG_0487.jpg

I always wanted to build the Goblin WS and I had a good friend that was a master, monster model maker. He even sold kits that he created all over the world. I was going to have him make the goblin face for me but I never got around to asking him and he ended up passing away.

The real head itself is still around. Three were made. There's an article about it online that tells about it.

Nice. I think the word you're loking for is louvers or shutters.

My mind was thinking "slats", but four or five people have said louvers, so that's what I'm going with.

I always wanted to build the Goblin WS and I had a good friend that was a master, monster model maker. He even sold kits that he created all over the world. I was going to have him make the goblin face for me but I never got around to asking him and he ended up passing away.

The real head itself is still around. Three were made. There's an article about it online that tells about it.

I actually tried to buy the original head. The one that the exploded in the final scene. When the guy first fixed it up I offered to buy it in a private sale, but he opted to put it on an auction site, and in doing so priced me out.