Model Cars Magazine Forum

Holden Commodore being exported to US again

Here we go again, this time it will be called the Chevrolet SS

Holden to announce export of the Commodore to U.S. as Chevrolet SS: Holden will announce tomorrow an export program for the Commodore, which will see the Adelaide [Australia] made car become a race and showroom star in the United States. Though sales of the Elizabeth-produced sedan continue to slide in Australia, a Commodore V8 will be exported to America where it will be sold with the Chevrolet SS Performance badge. In that guise, it would also star for the heartland brand in the NASCAR stock car racing series, which runs second only to Formula One in global popularity. Holden has been testing left-hand drive cars on public roads in Victoria in recent weeks and running it head-to-head with one of its strongest potential rivals, the Dodge Charger, as it finalises its end of the important new deal. Motorsport sources in the USA hint that an announcement of the Chevrolet SS program is imminent, including the Holden connection. The coming VF Commodore as the donor car for the program ticks the boxes for American muscle car fans, and NASCAR stock car racing as well, thanks to its V8 engine, large body and rear-wheel drive. Former GM Holden president Mark Reuss, now the head of GM operations in the US and a known fan and supporter of the Commodore, dodged Carsguide's questions on a link between the SS program and the Commodore. Holden chairman Mike Devereux also refused to comment on the strengthening rumours in the US, which were triggered by the announcement. Full-scale testing of the racer is expected to begin soon, and the bodywork expected to be revealed at the same time.()(5-16-2012)
Edited by martinfan5

Ed, this is the car that the '08-'09 Pontiac G8 is based off of, the Pontiac G8 GT was a 361 HP 6.2L V8 RWD Sedan

Very Quick cars for weighing 4000LBS, can tell you that from experience (my friends uncle has one and has taken us out in it)

Nick

Nick, I should renew my passport an come up to a visit in you're provence . I bet there is a lot of stuff I have not seen as many cars are imported to the west and some come east , eventually............ Ed Shaver

The current 2012 Holden Commodore SS.

Holden-VE_Commodore_SS-V_2006_800x600_wallpaper_01.jpg

The upcoming 2014 Chevrolet SS will have slightly sharper styling.

And, maybe a new Beach Boys song!

B)

If it's going to be like this one and sold here in the States as a Chevrolet SS, could they possibly put the Impala name back on it?

I was just wondering if this might happen since the last Impala SS was back in 1996...

If it's going to be like this one and sold here in the States as a Chevrolet SS, could they possibly put the Impala name back on it?

I was just wondering if this might happen since the last Impala SS was back in 1996...

Nope, the Impala is staying FWD (new FWD Impala due for '14 on the Epsilon II platform). The current rumor is the car will be called the 'Chevrolet SS Performance'. Odd name, I would have thought 'Chevelle' or 'Monte Carlo' would have worked better (esp. MC because of the NASCAR angle).

I like the current Charger quite a bit, it will be nice to see a competitor from GM again after the short-lived Pontiac G8 (which this car is basically an updated version of). I wish Ford would also get back into the RWD sedan game, but alas they are stuck w/ FWD in the US.

Edited by Rob Hall

Great....but why does it HAVE to be a Chevrolet(SS)? If I wanted to buy another plain old (styled) Chevrolet...that's what I'd buy. Why not just make it left-hand drive and sell it for what it is through GM dealerships? Holden already is a GM brand...and yes, I know the Pontiac GTO('04-'06) & G8's were Holden's. Don't get me started on that "dumping" of Pontiac decision.

Great....but why does it HAVE to be a Chevrolet(SS)? If I wanted to buy another plain old (styled) Chevrolet...that's what I'd buy. Why not just make it left-hand drive and sell it for what it is through GM dealerships? Holden already is a GM brand...and yes, I know the Pontiac GTO('04-'06) & G8's were Holden's. Don't get me started on that "dumping" of Pontiac decision.

The Holden brand doesn't exist in the US. Chevy is the only place it fits....it's not fancy enough to be a Cadillac, it doesn't fit with Buick either. And GMC is just trucks, CUVs, and SUVs. And with the NASCAR angle, it has to be a Chevy.

The heck with the Commador, bring us the Ute (El Camino)!

The rumor I've seen on GM forums is the sedan is the first step...that the Ute and wagon will likely follow in '15 or so...and that it may be built in NA in a few years (also providing a replacement for the currently-imported Caprice PPV police car).

Edited by Rob Hall

The Holden brand doesn't exist in the US. Chevy is the only place it fits....it's not fancy enough to be a Cadillac, it doesn't fit with Buick either. And GMC is just trucks, CUVs, and SUVs. And with the NASCAR angle, it has to be a Chevy.

I understand the NASCAR angle. Like say...Toyota(TRD) is a foreign brand, but by default, because they assemble the Camery, Tundra, and maybe a couple of other models in the US...they are allowed(qualify) to race in NASCAR. That being said...the rebadged Commodore as a Chevrolet wouldn't qualify, if I'm not mistaken, for NASCAR, because it's actually an import(besides the engine)...not built in the US. I just don't see any reason why not to start building or importing some Holden's as Holden's. GM seems to be doing fine now-a-days. Holden Commodore's are a pretty nice looking car as it sits.

I understand the NASCAR angle. Like say...Toyota(TRD) is a foreign brand, but by default, because they assemble the Camry, Tundra, and maybe a couple of other models in the US...they are allowed(qualify) to race in NASCAR. That being said...the rebadged Commodore as a Chevrolet wouldn't qualify, if I'm not mistaken, for NASCAR, because it's actually an import(besides the engine)...not built in the US.

Doesn't matter..it's not like the race car has anything in common w/ the production car other than the name, it's just marketing.

I just don't see any reason why not to start building or importing some Holden's as Holden's. GM seems to be doing fine now-a-days. Holden Commodore's are a pretty nice looking car as it sits.

The cost of introducing the Holden brand in NA would be prohibitive.

I understand the NASCAR angle. Like say...Toyota(TRD) is a foreign brand, but by default, because they assemble the Camery, Tundra, and maybe a couple of other models in the US...they are allowed(qualify) to race in NASCAR. That being said...the rebadged Commodore as a Chevrolet wouldn't qualify, if I'm not mistaken, for NASCAR, because it's actually an import(besides the engine)...not built in the US. I just don't see any reason why not to start building or importing some Holden's as Holden's. GM seems to be doing fine now-a-days. Holden Commodore's are a pretty nice looking car as it sits.

NASCAR does not mandate that the cars raced in the NASCAR series have to be American or made in the USA, if a manufacture wants to race in NASCAR, they can, they just have to meet requirements set by NASCAR , one of them is it has to be production car.

The are rumors that VW and Honda have thought about coming to NASCAR,