Model Cars Magazine Forum

Something you don't see every day

While I was at work today I was driving down the interstate and noticed an unusual looking cab over approaching in the oncoming lanes. It was faded orange and the closer it got the unusualer it looked, I had never seen anything quite like it. After a little searching I found it, a Peterbilt 372. Yikes!?

1991_372.jpg

Peterbuilt had the 372, which the whole nose tilted up to work on it. Freightliner had the Argosy & International had the low cab-setback axle 97-9800. Early 90's attempt at aerodynamic cabovers. J.B.Hunt & Builders Transport ran the inter;s to name a couple.

The 372 wasn't an "attempt" at aerodynamic COE, it was quite successful in the streamlined aerodynamic design - garning 10.75mpg in on-road tests. In the styling department and thus the sales end of things, that's a different story.... just under 800 were built in the 4 years it was in production.

Tim

I am not very keen of COE´s. Both sides of Atlantic that is. But this 372 has something that attracts me very much. I would love to build a model of one with the tilting up nose and all the gizmos behind it. But I can´t get much reference and have no idea as to what kit could be the best starting point. There is no resin cab available around as far as I know. What a shame, this is a perfect shape! Coupled to a streamline trailer it makes a dream design. Could a model beat the real deal in sales figures? What do you think?

i am reading some time a go the cal him the bullet

somewhere i must have a picture of it but where?

i stil like coe,s even this one and when you see the interior splendid i like that ,and is so different from the european

i grow up whit that caint of trucks so thelast years its come nicer

Guest Johnny

The last one I saw was on a farm between Ault and Fort Collins Co. being used to haul grain and cattle of all things!

The farmer said he got it really cheap from the dealer who just wanted it gone! :lol:

I always thought they were kind of cool in their own right! B)

Sorry Tim! Your right, they did achieve their goal, but from a driver standpoint they missed their mark on styling. Driver recruitment means alot and I remember when the Kenworth T-600 came out. Drivers were screaming about not wanting to be seen in it. A certain food wholesaler in little rock bought several T-600's and the first week they had drivers calling in sick because they didn't want to be seen in one. Once they got used to the ride and manuverability (big word) , they loved them.I had a Ford 9000 w/ a silver 6V92 at the time that was gettin 5.2 mpg!

The 372 wasn't an "attempt" at aerodynamic COE, it was quite successful in the streamlined aerodynamic design - garning 10.75mpg in on-road tests. In the styling department and thus the sales end of things, that's a different story.... just under 800 were built in the 4 years it was in production.

Tim

Thanks for the information.

I am not very keen of COE´s. Both sides of Atlantic that is. But this 372 has something that attracts me very much. I would love to build a model of one with the tilting up nose and all the gizmos behind it. But I can´t get much reference and have no idea as to what kit could be the best starting point. There is no resin cab available around as far as I know. What a shame, this is a perfect shape! Coupled to a streamline trailer it makes a dream design. Could a model beat the real deal in sales figures? What do you think?

The running gear is typical Pete stuff, I think the prototype had a old style mechanical 3406 in it. You could start with the Revell snap kit since it has the correct engine and rear suspension and just scratch the cab. It's mostly flat pieces, even the main windshield pieces are flat.

Kinda reminds me of those horrendous first generation FWD mini-vans that GM brought out in 1990! My sister bought one of those Lumina APV vans and her kids were about the age of getting their drivers permits/licenses and they dreaded having to drive it.

I don't recall ever seeing one of those and if they only built 800, that is probably why! Thanks for that tidbit of info Brian and all the history behind it.

Wow! To me, it's really not that ugly a truck... It has a certain appeal to it. 10.75mpg from a mechanical 3406 in testing is a very respectable number. When I was getting 6.7 out of a 2001 Eagle, the boss said, 'Keep up the good work'... Couple this tractor under a 53' van with the new, underside wind splitters and see what happens... If I were an owner operator, I'd'a took a chance on one...