Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya Mk4 VW Golf....'personal barn find'

VW Dave

After sitting unfinished in the box for several years, I hauled this one out and have it pretty much wrapped up after a couple of days worth of tinkering. It's far from perfect, but I'm pretty happy with it.

DSCN1720_edited-vi.jpg

DSCN1717_edited-vi.jpg

http://public.fotki.com/VWDave/my_model_ca...ya-vw-golf-mk4/

Back story: I painted the body with actual VW 'cosmic green' lacquer shortly after I left the VW dealer(2000 or 2001), I selected the Fujimi wheels, and finished the chassis plate off.....then I lost the inspiration and packed it away.

Fast forward to 2007: A little wet sanding, some Tamiya TS-13 clear and a little fiddling, and it's almost complete. I need to add a rear muffler, the BBS center cap decals and license plates, and it gets the official 'DONE' stamp.

A 'slump breaker' build always feels good to wrap up. 8)

Nice looking VW. You are your own worst critic. I think it looks perfect.

and I'm not much of a VW fan. but I know great work when I see it. Yes it is a good feeling to wrap up a long standing project. keep up the great work.

Thanks very much for the positives, everyone; the more I look at this little car, the more I like it too....I just wish Tamiya had made it a 2-door. Maybe it would have been finished a lot sooner if it were. :lol:

Steve - The emblems did come with it, and they are very nice. There are also a pair of 'V5' emblems and one 'GOLF' emblem. I'm saving the Golf one for a Mk1 I have in the works and we never got the V5 engine here anyway, so the rest of them will not get onto this car.

• 1 month later...