Model Cars Magazine Forum

Project Phoenix: Custom '61 Dodge Dart resurrection: The Wall, March 29

Ace-Garageguy

Thank you all again for the interest and kind comments.

Not a jell of a lot of progress, but some is better than none. I've extended the front and rear cowl panels.

In front, I'm moving the windshield back, so I need more sheetmetal under it. Also, the windshield frame is going to be more of a removable roadster style, so I want the illusion that the cowl flows all the way into the top of the instrument panel. Think Porsche Speedster.

In the rear, the very thin strip between the backlight and the decklid was just too narrow, so it got widened too. The body is also very fragile, and adding this little reinforcement will stabilize things, a lot.

DSCN6431.jpg

On the underside, I've reinforced the fitted styrene filler panels with fiberglass and epoxy resin. I've also reinforced the insides of the front and rear pans or valences the same way. There's a lot of bodywork to do everywhere, and I hate to have things cracking as I'm working, so I go for overkill at this stage.

DSCN6450.jpg

Thank you all again for the interest and kind comments.

Not a jell of a lot of progress, but some is better than none. I've extended the front and rear cowl panels.

In front, I'm moving the windshield back, so I need more sheetmetal under it. Also, the windshield frame is going to be more of a removable roadster style, so I want the illusion that the cowl flows all the way into the top of the instrument panel. Think Porsche Speedster.

In the rear, the very thin strip between the backlight and the decklid was just too narrow, so it got widened too. The body is also very fragile, and adding this little reinforcement will stabilize things, a lot.

DSCN6431.jpg

On the underside, I've reinforced the fitted styrene filler panels with fiberglass and epoxy resin. I've also reinforced the insides of the front and rear pans or valences the same way. There's a lot of bodywork to do everywhere, and I hate to have things cracking as I'm working, so I go for overkill at this stage.

DSCN6450.jpg

Very nice work!

Trimmed up the extended front and rear cowl fillers, began lengthening the copied Saleen hard tonneau, and found a nice Impala dash that picks up the shapes of the head fairings, and echos the quad taillights.

DSCN6485.jpg

This is pretty much the final top-down profile, seat location, etc. The black on the windshield is a mockup for a somewhat thinner surround similar to that found on the last production T-bird.

EDIT: Think I may have to raise the extreme rear of the bottom of the quarter panel just a little.......and the fairing for the headrest needs to come forward a bit, and up just a bit to more fully shroud the seat. It needs to be a little stronger and cleaner.......and the taillight lens is drooping just slightly........yeah, that'll fix it.

DSCN6509.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

• 3 weeks later...

Taillights are back at post #67 on page 4........

I went back and found em, not sure howi missed it. they are going to look good with everything going on with the rear. Can't wait to see them with the vette roll pan and the exhaust.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...