Model Cars Magazine Forum

Custom LoneStar Day Cab- Update 9/13

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Well... a couple of months back I managed to snag a Revell Black Magic Pete 359 for twenty bucks. Before anybody throws a fit... the cab was missing, some of it had been assembled, and the chrome was shot (uneven to begin with, and all scratched up from rattling around in the box for 30 years). As I was "carving it up for organs" (ie- allocating parts from it for other projects), the LoneStar popped into my mind for the first time in a while.

001_zps50311c4b.jpg

As you can see since the last installment, one of the mud flaps broke loose, and I've removed the exhaust stacks. The flap will simply be reattached, but the exhaust will be refined a bit. The tanks and headache rack are from the Black Magic Pete- odds are favorable they'll end up on the LoneStar.

Anyway... REALLY hoping to make some more progress on this, and I'll at least try to let this be the last two-year blank between updates. :rolleyes:

Not the best quality pic, I know, but you'll get the gist...

003_zpscad96416.jpg

Tanks and steps are installed- I attached them to a piece of L-shaped Plastruct ABS strip so they'd mount a little bit higher up, and to push them out away from the frame a little bit, so as to clear the rear cab mounts. I've also mocked up the headache rack, mostly just to see how it will look. I'm kicking around the idea of using the rear fenders from the Black Magic kit, as well. I still need to add the fuel caps.

Edited by Chuck Most

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

With the addition of the rear taillight panel, the business end is pretty much done. I debated on a few different treatments for this area before finally settling on the partially-dechromed kit part. 

The kit tool box was modified with diamond plate on the steps. An AITM diamond plate toolbox will be on the opposite side.

Well, this one just got a lot closer to finished...

The toolboxes I ordered from AITM showed up. The more I looked at that dead air under the deck of the headache rack, the less I liked it. I figured the toolboxes would be a good way to fill it in. I went with a 24" box on the driver's side, with the modified factory toolbox just behind it.

For the passenger's side, I went with the 48" box.

A deck plate and a few other doodads and this one will be a done deal. Maybe.