Model Cars Magazine Forum

Custom LoneStar Day Cab- Update 9/13

One more update...

Decided to tone down the bumper- I saw an International brochure image of a LoneStar, and I liked the way the pavement reflected off the bumper. The LoneStar in that picture was a dark gray, graphite color, so it looked like the bottom of the bumper was painted to match the truck, while the top was left plated. So, I stripped the bottom 2/3 or so of the bumper, and went over it with a few mist coats of black primer, then one thin coat of Tamiya semi gloss black. I was going for a sprayed-on-bedliner look/texture.

73436f27-vi.jpg

Good Idea Chuck, I like the black on that bumper. I think the Lonestar begs for mods,it's like a huge '34 Ford! There should be an option for full sized baby moons for the front wheels! Wide whitewalls, flames on the hood, flat black paint, lakes pipes... Oops, pardon me. But then again...

Edited by BigBad

The driving lights (now the headlights) are in place, and the front fender pieces were painted in the same sprayed-bedliner textured paint as the bottom of the bumper.

I'm thinking of stripping the chrome off the mirrors and air cleaner housings to match, but I guess we'll see.

1c7bbbbf.jpg

Just a question like that, do you think Peterbilt headlight pods would fit on that front end?

I'm not sure how. You'd definitely need to rework the mount. I actually tried a Peterbilt 359 headlight assembly on this early on- I couldn't find a way to mount them without them sitting too high (for my tastes).

And now....

3e97158e-vi.jpg

Had to get a quick shot of that School Bus Yellow under bright, natural sunlight.

You may have noticed the Harley grille already in place, and painted with the hood. Let's just say I've got something a little different than the 'all chrome' grille treatment in mind... ;)

I like that shade of yeller! It's going to look good with the flat black. I like the dashboard too with the yellow accents. You've given me some ideas for mine... Can't wait to see what you're going to do to the grill! This is shaping up to be a nice HotRod!

Edited by BigBad

Here's what I have at this point-

32d569f6.jpg

Glass, mirrors, air cleaners, visor, and lenses are in place, and the cab is permanently mounted. Still need to connect the air intake ducting under the hood, but it's technically a only battery and at least one fuel tank away from 'drivable'. :rolleyes:

Speaking of, that's the next thing I have to figure out. I don't plan on using the stock aero skirts, so I need to plan out the tank, box, and step setup for each side.

I'm leaning toward leaving it a tractor, but I might put a body of some sort on the back. As always, we'll see.