Model Cars Magazine Forum

A downtown car show diorama

Sixties Sam

Hey, guys, this is a diorama I just made to simulate a car show typical of many downtown type shows seen all across the country. It's a two piece L shaped unit that fits on two 6' folding tables, and holds about 22 models. I'll have it on display in some local 1:1 car shows this summer. Here it is set up in our back porch.

7259039416_f503d7d099_c.jpg

Here's a closer, spectator's eye view on the corner.

7259039942_77b7d86141_c.jpg

The diorama is on a wooden base with black foamboard for the pavement. Building fronts are foamboard with some plastic windows and doors, and some just printed on posterboard, and framed with wood sticks. The church window is a plastic kit I made in Vacation Bible School 50 years ago! I've been working on the dio for about four months. I also plan to use it for a model photo backdrop. It was a fun build! Hope you like it.

Sam

Sam, this is a very good diorama. Your building flats are very realistic. The ground level picture looks 1:1. It is unfortunate that we don't have a better supply of 1/25th scale figures to use in our dioramas. This one could use a few dozen spectators to populate the show.

The latches to hold the two sections togeather is a great idea.

Thanks for sharing this diorama with us

Carl

• 2 weeks later...

WOW!!! Sam that is just to cool. if i ever get to your area car shows or you get to any i go to it would be a hoot to set these dioramas up together. your car show and my junkyard.i will tell you one thing you should try to make nnleast next year. super great job.

Manny

That's really nice, Sam. How 'bout some construction details?

Ken, the dio bases (2) are a frame of 1x2's with 1/4" plywood on top. The pavement is black foamboard glued over the plywood. Sidewalk is the same 1/4" ply, painted with white house paint. The building fronts have foamboard walls (painted or with brick paper glued on) with a frame of 1/2" square plywood on each building. the ply frames extend 1 1/2" below the walls and attach to the base frame with wood screws. I can easily remove any building front for repairs or changes, or even swap it out for a new building if I want. The doors and windows on the tavern and pizza shop are from Colorado Model Structures. Most of the others are AutoCAD drawings printed on posterboard, cut out and glued to the walls. Wooden stick frames were added to give a 3D effect. The big display windows in the Family General Store are plastic from CD cases.Trees are G scale RR items set in brown tile grout. The orange traffic cones are those black plastic things the doctor looks in your ears with, cut down and glued to a styrene base and painted orange. The fire hydrant, streetlights/signs, and porta-potty are diorama items from eBay. Here are a few more pics.

Edited by Sixties Sam

• 4 weeks later...