Model Cars Magazine Forum

Chip King's "Green Machine" Daytona Pro Mod

First off a big thanks to Clay, Dave Sherman, and Dirk for pushing me to do this project that I thought was a tall order for me. Clay and Dave pushed me to try one of these monster door slammers over the past year. Clay sent me a chassis blue print he had drawn based on the Vanishing Point frame. I decided to take the plunge. I am not sure when this project will be completed but I have thoroughly enjoyed it so far. I hope to keep on it between various projects I have going.

The wicked Pro Mod I am trying to replicate. Gotta love sublime green on this one which I purchased from Scale finishes already.

019-vi.jpg

Here is the first draft of the chassis based on the plans Clay sent me. After a few conversations with he and Sherm I had to make a few changes to the firewall area where the doors on the body would be mounted. You can see in the progressed chassis in the next batch of photos the changes I made.

P1010597-vi.jpg

P1010598-vi.jpg

Here is the final draft of the chassis. I used all of the dirt modeler brass photoetch parts on the project. Closing in the front firewall and adding the dashfiller panel was pretty challenging.

P1010200-vi.jpg

P1010202-vi.jpg

P1010201-vi.jpg

During the whole chassis build process I was test fitting it to the Flashpoint resin body. The doors have been removed and the front end cut off.

I spent a ton of time making sure the chassis not only fit but everything opens and closes perfectly. No glued open doors and front clip not fitting this time for me!

Edited by David Thibodeau

Pay attention to the front door opening, that was changed thanks to suggestions by Dave Sherman. He made me see that the Flashpoint body has the stock Daytona door lines which are inaccurate for the Pro Mod. These were fixed in later photos by cutting the doors in the front and gluing the cut parts to the openings to get the door line at the A-pillar.

P1010600-vi.jpg

P1010601-vi.jpg

P1010599-vi.jpg

I am using a Ross Gibson hemi engine on this project. This is only the beggining! It will be highly detailed.

P1010203-vi.jpg

Scratchbuilding these frames requires the use of a jig to set wheelbase and ride height. This is a MUST for a successful sitting model. I have to thank Clay and Dirk once again for the advice. The jig makes things so much easier!!!

P1010204-vi.jpg

With the body on the mocked up Comp resin tires and micro nitro wheels on the jig.

P1010207-vi.jpg

P1010208-vi.jpg

Next up , paint the chassis!!!!

. I got the first pass of primer on the resin body.... It still needs alot of sanding, smoothing and filling but its getting there. I also need to close up the gap on the pass front door where it meets the front clip. Not too much because paint will help alot in those areas. Either way its good to see it in a uniform color. I think its got a sinister monster look....

P1010234-vi.jpg

P1010232-vi.jpg

P1010233-vi.jpg

P1010235-vi.jpg

Its "THE GREEN MACHINE" Man what a difference a little color does!!! It is painted with 70's Correct "Sublime" from Scalefinishes. The bummer is the paint Jameston sent me is Gloss Enamel. I hate the stuff! It never dries! So to speed it along I applied one coat of two part Omni clear. I will paint the rear quarters black real soon... I am totaly going for the look of Chips all green period correct sublime car he raced in the early days..... Man I think this one is gonna be wicked!! I love the look so far. Hope you all feel the same.....

P1010456-vi.jpg

P1010457-vi.jpg

P1010458-vi.jpg

P1010459-vi.jpg

P1010460-vi.jpg

If you don't like it why bother commenting?

David, the progress is coming out superb. The work you are putting into this will surely pay off with an excellent build when it's complete. Can't wait to see more.

I know right????

Thanks Wayne, I hope to have this one done for the Tampa Street rod show in October.....

I am really digging this build so far. Count me in as one that will be following along on this. You are doing an outstanding job so far. I am loving the color choice and the car you are building this after. Keep up the great work and look forward to more updates on this.

Very cool build. I was sure this will be truly amazing since I saw that Topic Title and Poster. You do always some amazing work. Paint looks great and you did nice job with the frame too. Engine looks good already.

I love it. The motor is really exceptional. The Pro Mods models being built currently are just awesome. I have to admit I do not like watching them run at the races but I do like looking at them and watching them being built here. Like I email back yesterday that is sure is GREEN. Years ago I had a friend with a 32 highboy he would not tell any of us the color it was going to be. Then he pulled into the Frog Follies with it painted that same green as your model. And yes it did not look good on a 32 Ford.