Model Cars Magazine Forum

Chip King's "Green Machine" Daytona Pro Mod

So great,thanks for the inspiration.

I´m interested in future picture´s,when you are at the electricial detail stage of this build.

When you make details on your lathe,how do you do when it comes to make radius curves, if you know what i mean.

Super Clean work,

Fred

• 4 months later...

Dave: beautiful craftsmanship. Not blowing smoke either. I don't scratch build (yet, or perhaps ever), but there was an unanswered question or two I wanted to raise again. For instance, how is the jig made and to what dimensions? How do you know the basic construction of the tubing? Is there a standard technique to fabricating and locating the firewall/dashboard portion?

Like I said, I only kit build, but I've already learned from am73grand how to use solder to fashion and fabricate a better cage for Revell based pro mod/sportsman cloned kits. I hope to also use some of your knowledge to improve my amateur skills so if I make the jump to scratch cars, I'll be better educated. One last question please: did you make your magneto using your lathe tools? I don't have this type of equipment handy and your work is excellent. I do have an RGE Sonny Leonard resin kit engine waiting to use, although I wish I'd chosen the Hemi version. The instructions are vague and the little xeroxed sheet of pictures is going to be a great challenge to work from.

Anyway, I think Chip would be amazed by your crafting of his racecar. I wish someone had done Leah Pruett's car before she headed to top fuel but turbos aren't as impressive as a huge blower hat!

Great job.

I must have been hiding under a rock as I've completely missed this build of yours Dave. Outstanding in every way. I've always been a fan of your work and to see one during the build stage is even better.

A How-To on the machining would be most appreciated.

Edited by gasser59

• 5 years later...
  • 9 months later...
On 8/28/2020 at 11:08 AM, NYLIBUD said:

Moooopar!!!!?or no car.Great job.The cage/chassis is one of the best I’ve ever seen....Keep the pics coming.

This is a six year old stalled project of David's. Don't think there's any "pics coming" anytime soon.