Model Cars Magazine Forum

It's getting to that time of year again, in little over a month it will be July 10th. Nikola Tesla's birthday.

I'm running an idea or two in my head that I may end up acting on.

First idea, is I will build a completely Tesla-inspired vehicle model, and post the reference materials and progress on it's own thread.

Second idea is starting a Community Build for what I'd like to call 'Nikola Tesla Day'.

I am a huge fan of Tesla's work and wholeheartedly believe his ideals and inventions could have made the world a better place than it is today. I want to do something for his birthday to show that respect...

If anyone has comments or ideas, or thinks the Community Build would be a good idea, let me know!

Tesla had patents on a lot of technologies, and the Tesla coil was only one of the early ones. He should have been credited as the inventor of radio, but that was euserped by a little know student of his-Marconni. :lol: He developed the first radio controled boat and demonstated a submersible version. Amazing engineer!

Tesla had patents on a lot of technologies, and the Tesla coil was only one of the early ones. He should have been credited as the inventor of radio, but that was euserped by a little know student of his-Marconni. :lol: He developed the first radio controled boat and demonstated a submersible version. Amazing engineer!

Literally 2 blocks from my father's house in Wall twp, NJ, there is a fenced in area where you can see a HUGE "satellite dish looking thing" and a field of all kinds of strange looking antennas(?) and things...

My dad and I used to pass by it pretty regularly when we would go out to the mall and some other places in that direction. One day, when I was about 9 or 10, I asked him if he knew what it was. He said it was a pretty famous site where the first (or one of the first) wireless communication stations were built. It's on Marconi road. Pretty neat!

Anyway, I agree. It would be cool to do a Tesla related build. A VERY smart man, he was! :)

The guy was a freakin' genius. He was developing all sorts of stuff that later on was credited to much more famous people. Read his wikipedia bio... the guy was definitely one of the smartest people that most people have never heard of.

Oh yes, no doubt he is one of my favorite inventors from that time, certainly more so than say Edison.

Back in the day, when electric lights were still rare and most homes had no electricity, Tesla and Edison were fighting it out, each trying to promote their own method of supplying electricity to people. Tesla was trying to make direct current (DC) the operating standard, while Edison was pushing alternating current (AC). Sort of like the Beta vs VHS battle of the late '70s-early '80s.

In the end Edison's way won out, and he became a household name, while today most people have no idea who Tesla is.

Back in the day, when electric lights were still rare and most homes had no electricity, Tesla and Edison were fighting it out, each trying to promote their own method of supplying electricity to people. Tesla was trying to make direct current (DC) the operating standard, while Edison was pushing alternating current (AC). Sort of like the Beta vs VHS battle of the late '70s-early '80s.

In the end Edison's way won out, and he became a household name, while today most people have no idea who Tesla is.

Actually, Harry it was the other way around and George Westinghouse and Thomas Edison were the primary protaginsts. Tesla worked for Westinghouse and Westinghouse bought his patents for the transformers to run the system. Later Tesla became much more interested in wireless transmission of power. This was against both Edison and Westinghouse because Tesla saw it as giving power to the masses for free. All you had to do was put up a reciever and you had power, much like a radio reciever.

Edited by Pete J.

Actually, Harry it was the other way around and George Westinghouse and Thomas Edison were the primary protaginsts. Tesla worked for Westinghouse and Westinghouse bought his patents for the transformers to run the system. Later Tesla became much more interested in wireless transmission of power. This was against both Edison and Westinghouse because Tesla saw it as giving power to the masses for free. All you had to do was put up a reciever and you had power, much like a radio reciever.

One of my favorite episodes of "The Avengers" was about broadcast power, where the main evildoer wanted to harness it for nefarious purposes.

Edited by sjordan2

I had heard that Edison killed an elephant with DC current to show how " dangerous " it was . Anyone else?

I had heard that Edison killed an elephant with DC current to show how " dangerous " it was . Anyone else?

See above. Edison was the proponant of DC current. It was George Westinghouse and Tesla who avocated AC current. Edison actually lost this one.