Model Cars Magazine Forum

Lee Petty 1955 Chrysler 300

jjsipes

I had posted this over on Randy Ayers Nascar Forum but thought I would post here to see if I get any other help.

I have recently purchased the decals for the car from Decals by Lucas and they say the car was white with dark blue graphics. Does anybody know whether the car was the factory off white or whether the Petty's repainted it more of a pure white? It was pointed out that maybe the roof looks to be tan or irovy.

petty55300color.jpg

b1b0c6fed3763ff9815824318773a0aa_mx26.jpg

I borrowed this picture from Bruce Sadewater's post over there.

Edited by jjsipes

I like a good sNASCAR history lesson. Also like researching to. I have no way of scanning pics. So, I wonder if the #300 with the #42 was a one race deal between Lee Petty and Kiekhaefer? The Fielden book does show a red and white #42 for 1955 for Lee. In 1956, it shows Lee driving a two tone Dodge

I like a good NASCAR history lesson. Also like researching to. I have no way of scanning pics. So, I wonder if the #300 with the #42 was a one race deal between Lee Petty and Kiekhaefer? The Fielden book does show a red and white #42 for 1955 for Lee. In 1956, it shows Lee driving a two tone Dodge

I think it's great we have a direct pipeline to the King on here, way to go Jacen. I'm loving all the interest in the older NASCARS generated by the Hornet and now the 300. Looking forward to the Revell '50 Olds as well. Keep 'em coming.

Here's a picture that was posted on Randy Ayers Nascar site. It looks as though the chrome has been taped up with masking tape as well as the roof. What do you guys think?

1955speedagemed.jpg

Edited by jjsipes

So from what everybody has posted here and on Randy Ayers Nascar site is, it appears as though the car was the factory Platinum paint with the trim and possibly the roof taped up to protect it from the sand and the graphics are to be black.

• 1 month later...

I have finally started painting on my Lee Petty 55 Chrysler 300 model. The instruction sheet for the Flock 300 recommends Testors Wimbledon White for the factory Platinum color but, I felt as if it was a little to yellow (?) for the factory Platinum color so I decided to try Tamiya Racing White. I think it looks alittle closer to my eye. When viewed in person it had a heck of a shine for spraying from a can in 100 degree very humid weather.

55-1.jpg

55-3.jpg

Here's one under my desk lamp to show shine.

55-4.jpg

Edited by jjsipes

• 1 year later...

Wow has it really been since July 2012 that I was able to get anything accomplishedo n this model. Man time flies when you are trying to raise 2 small children, eats up alot of modeling time.

Anyway, almost finished my 1955 Chrysler Lee Petty Stock Car. Here a few pics as it stands right now.

Interior

LeePetty55-3_zps8b8683e3.jpg

Exterior

LeePetty55-2_zps9365444a.jpg

LeePetty55-1_zpsf44f411f.jpg

Not perfect by a long shot but I am just happy that I am able to get a model this far along. Color is close but graphics should be black but, decals are from "Decals by Lucas" and they were printed in blue.

• 3 weeks later...