Model Cars Magazine Forum

67 Camaro Convertible conversion---update 6-14

novadose71

My wife has been bugging me to build a 67/68 Convertible for a while now, since I have to make her happy from time to time....here goes :P . I have this started 69 build someone gave me , and a fresh 67 kit to work with so I have been trying to combine the two for a few weeks now, most of that time spent on the interior.

IMG_6915.jpg

Both interiors

IMG_6970.jpg

Here the 67 door panels and rear seat are free from the 67 tub

IMG_7208.jpg

Now fit into the 69 tub. The rear seat was narrowed in the center. Once the glue cured the bottom cushion was cut into 3 pieces from side to side and shortened then I added the seat top to the modified seat.. The next step is to to re-contour the grossly misshapen front seatbacks to look like the real thing, the door panels are getting a major overhaul, and I started adding details to the dash last weekend.

IMG_7733.jpg

Chassis was almost made for this body, just had to clip a little ahead of the front wheels to fit the splash pan, and the firewall fits with no mods .

IMG_7683.jpg

67's had vent windows that are represented on the clear tree and not very detailed, so I had to add those as well.

IMG_8259.jpg

Finished...I need to prime to check my progress and do some finessing but I'm pretty happy with the results

IMG_8446.jpg

the 69 windshield fits like a glove too.

IMG_8380.jpg

Edited by novadose71

Here's a mockup. Tires from a 66 Charger kit and 65 Chevelle wheelcovers. This will get a straight 6 if I can find a donor, otherwise a 327 from the 66 Chevy II should fit the bill.

IMG_8390.jpg

IMG_8395.jpg

A sneak peak at the 68 Nickey/Dana I am combining with a 69 Z-28. After I get the mods done on the 67, I'll get crankin in this. It will probably get built as a mid 70's street racer.

IMG_7054.jpg

Edited by novadose71

That is looking awesome Rob and I will be waiting to see more! Maybe I will hold off selling a couple of my 69 kits so I can attempt this same conversion.

MCW Auto Finishes has a nice resin 6 cylinder if you are in need of one, otherwise the 327 out of the Nova or the Camaro will work!

• 2 weeks later...

I got a dusting of primer on the A-pillars and windshield frame. I'm pretty happy how it's going, but it will need some final finessing before I can move on and chop off the roof.

IMG_9700.jpg

IMG_9679.jpg

I'm trying a different direction with the seats. The 67 kit seat pattern is almost right, but the seatbacks are grossly misshapen. When raiding a revell 69 z28 for the chassis and drivetrain on my 68 Nickey project (to be posted later), I noticed the seat pattern might be good start for the 67 seats and the general shape is WAY better. Here the area are marked for mods.

IMG_9617.jpg

Mud

IMG_9627.jpg

Kit 67 seats in rear, modified 69 in the front....notice the strip around the pleated area that is missing on the 67 seats, this will be a white stripe when painted....... way better......now to remove the headrest

IMG_9693.jpg

Headrest's are gone. Some final details to fix up on the fronts and make the rear seat fit. Then it's on to the dash and doorpanels.

IMG_9746.jpg

Edited by novadose71

I hate to break this to ya, after you've done all that interior work, but Replicas & Miniatures Co. of Md. has that exact '67 interior conversion, in resin, right down to the factory 8-track player.

Thanks Lyle, I need to get one for my upcoming 67 Camaro convertible project.