Model Cars Magazine Forum

1978 Thunderbird?

There's the body style before this, and the one after (the first Fox body variant) exists as a NASCAR stocker, but not a '78. Wouldn't mind having one myself in 1:24 or 1:25. I've never even seen this body done as a resin body for a NASCAR model, which kind of suprises me.

A while back on this board this particular car came up, along with the 1977-79 Lincoln Continental Mark V. Someone posted a link to another board that showed a fellow doing a master of the Mark V, and in the background------there was a master for a VERY well done '77-'78 T-Bird.

The Mark V was very well done too as a matter of fact!

I wish I could have saved the link, but unfortunately I didn't, nor can I remember the fellow who made the master or what message board it was on. I don't think he's a member of this one.

Anyone out there remember this thread?? :unsure:

I too would LOVE to see a resin (or even a full kit) of this car, as this was one of my favorites from my end of high school days back then. I was tickled when Ford first came out with the '77 as the previous one was WAY to big and bloated for what it was.

There's the body style before this, and the one after (the first Fox body variant) exists as a NASCAR stocker, but not a '78. Wouldn't mind having one myself in 1:24 or 1:25. I've never even seen this body done as a resin body for a NASCAR model, which kind of suprises me.

They weren't NASCAR's ,Torino`s were.

MCW does a NASCAR resin 77-78 Thunderbird. And as Cup cars of this era are very close to stock...start with that. Add a chassis from a JoHan or AMT 1972 NASCAR Gran Torino stock car kit and all you will need to build is an interior. I have one part finished but stalled for a while now. The Lindberg 1/32 is junk....way off in all details....I know I have it.

You may be able to source a few interior parts from a Model King AMT 71 Bird....they are still out there.....contact MK if you need one.

Edited by Dave Van

Not in 81 they weren't using Torinos.

The 81 T-Bird IS a Nascar kit Only.

Otaki/Arii still occasionally offers the 72+ 'Bird kit. But as a Japanese market only

kit, it is rather expensive here.

That '72 is also WAY overscale- it's listed as 1:24, but it's a bit closer to 1:20-ish.

Not in 81 they weren't using Torinos.

The 81 T-Bird IS a Nascar kit Only.

Otaki/Arii still occasionally offers the 72+ 'Bird kit. But as a Japanese market only

kit, it is rather expensive here.

'78 T-birds were`nt NASCAR's Torino's were in 78 , in '81 they were using Thunderbird's but the body style had changed in '79

Cars from this era still don't get the exposure they deserve.

They were not nearways as bad or ugly as common folklore wants us to believe.

This Thunderbird:

NACO+TBIRD-755966.jpg

has paced each and every stockcar race in Holland since it was bought new in 1978 and is still used today. I don't even want to know how many races it has paced, or what the current mileage is. It is also used to haul a trailer full of equipment back and forth between the various tracks.

The only thing I have ever seen going wrong with it was a snapped fanbelt on a pace lap.

Cars from this era still don't get the exposure they deserve.

They were not nearways as bad or ugly as common folklore wants us to believe.

This Thunderbird:

NACO+TBIRD-755966.jpg

has paced each and every stockcar race in Holland since it was bought new in 1978 and is still used today. I don't even want to know how many races it has paced, or what the current mileage is. It is also used to haul a trailer full of equipment back and forth between the various tracks.

The only thing I have ever seen going wrong with it was a snapped fanbelt on a pace lap.

with that said, my car that has been sitting since 1994, started and moved under its own power, despite a busted radiator, bad brakes,junk carb,and a trashy muffler, it moved from storage to our house, then back to storage with few problems

with that said, my car that has been sitting since 1994, started and moved under its own power, despite a busted radiator, bad brakes,junk carb,and a trashy muffler, it moved from storage to our house, then back to storage with few problems

I keep telling you guys, these cars will make it right through World War 3 and back.

And they have the handling to boot. On regular gas. Unlike this overhyped Muscle Car rubbish.

Ahhhh....the 1978 Thunderbirds and the Lincoln Mark V....two cars that I have wanted to do in stock version..in fact I have been looking for an "in stock..ready for delivery" NASCAR version to modified to street stock and have someone to cast me a copy...the body mods will be significant from race to street and a lot of plastic lamination and detail fabrication is needed to get a nice stock version...so having a solid resin body will eliminate any long term problems with difrtent material reactions if any.

I think I know the car Gary is talking about..I believe the modeler who did the 1978 Nascar Thunderbird to street car trim is a project to make it a lowrider custom...it was turning very very nice indeed.