Model Cars Magazine Forum

seam lines, flash, and detailing

i've seen several builds lately that, while well painted and otherwise cleanly built, still had tons of seam lines and flash that weren't removed or smoothed out. still others had ejection pin marks that were obvious. i applaud good building skills and wonder why these errors were overlooked, unless the builder didn't have any reference other than the box art to go on? please do some research while you're building; scrape down those seams and clean up that flash.

I'll go along with that too. Nothing detracts more from a well built and painted model than simply "cleaning up" a kit before anything. Most of us are going for building a kit with the final result to look 1:1, or as close as possible. Mold lines (parting lines) and sprue nubs NEED to be removed. Another one is sink holes...fill them in. It's all about preparation. A pain in the you know what, but the results will speak for themselves.

> Nothing detracts more from a well built and painted model than simply "cleaning up" a kit before anything.

yes i agree...i love those parting lines and injector pin marks, dont want to detract from the final product by removing them. :P

those darn things are always sneaking up on me and thats why you sometimes see especially ejector pin marks on my stuff: by the time i notice them its too late. oh well...not something i obsess over after the fact. but i have seen some here where it is obvious the builder didnt even bother to try. i at least try on the prep stage, sometimes less than successfully though, and when youre talking something as delicate as like the orange crate, its a losing battle.

I think this tends to tread into that area of life called "How much effort do I want to spend?". Not everyone builds models necessarily to that exacting a standard. I know it would probably offend some of the diehard crazies around here, but I'm going to suggest that if the guy who built it is happy then he/she has the right to clean up, or not clean up whatever they want. Or perhaps he/she is a casual builder who doesn't even realize how much sacrilege they are committing. Everyone always says this stuff is "Modeling 101", but it's not like that class is mandatory for admittance into the hobby.

I will full disclose that until I really started paying attention to my building as an adult (19-20 y/o to the present) I never once sanded a parting seam, filled a sink hole, or fixed an ejector pin marking because I was just being a kid. I didn't even see that stuff in my mind's eye. It wasn't until much later I was horrified by this deluge of unclean, seam filled messes I had created.

But then again I was also cranking out about 5-8 models per month, not per decade... :unsure:

I can say that removing those mold seams, flash etc. is good and easy way to improve the model, you're building. Real car doesn't have mold seams or other stuff like that. It may be bit boring to smooth them out, but finished product sure is worth that. I know that I've done mistakes and I've left those mold seams etc on their place too, but on the last few years, I've been removing them as good as I can. Those seams etc give unrealistic look on builds, even if the model car would be built well, but those little things "Hit To The Eye".

Along with good paintjob, nice detailing and clean building, filling ejector pin marks, smoothing out Mold Seams and Mold Flash, is very good and easy way to get that model look better. I highly recommend to give it a try.

This is an okay thing to suggest to someone, but noone has the right to tell another person how they should do thier model. If a person doesn't want to clean these things it's thier choice.

Yes, of course. But why someone would build very nice and clean model car, but leave those things without any attention, even if he/she saw them already? They just don't look good.

Maybe it doesn't look good to YOU, but just fine to the one who built it. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If the person who be holdin the model likes it what does it matter what anyone else thinks?

Edited by MAGNUM4342

Maybe it doesn't look good to YOU, but just fine to the one who built it. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If the person who be holdin the model likes it what does it matter what anyone else thinks?

You are correct, however, IF YOU POST A MODEL HERE YOU ARE GOING TO GET A CRITIQUE BY SOMEONE. If you do good work we're gonna say atta-boy. If you have areas to improve we are going to point them out, because the idea is to GET BETTER. If you only want atta-boys, don't post here, just go show it to your mom.

I agree I've seen a few builds like that recently and it really does irk me. I get to the point where I'm replying with, "Nice paint but why put in all that work when you leave the mold line down the rear fender?" And then I go and delete it and go on to the next thread. <_<

For more on this idea folks, check out the Walk Then Run link in my signature line.

Edited by Jantrix

@Jacen- Yes...you're right, that was what I meant. And, while I'm here typing again, it may have sounded like there are rules to building a model by what I said. By no means am I saying it's mandatory for all of the prep work. It's a learned process and any model can benifit from a little prep work and achieve better results.

Okay, so what you guys are saying is, It's okay to offer unwarranted advice and push someone into doing something they don't want to or are uncomfortable doing just to please you, when the point of building a model is to please onesself?

Aren't you over-reacting a bit here? I don't see anyone forcing anyone else do to anything to please anyone.

The original post was nothing more than an opinion and a bit of advice.

Everyone is free to either heed the advice or ignore it... nobody is holding a gun to anyone's head and forcing them to do anything.

I think this is something that eventually a modeller will put into practice as time goes on. I don't see it as critisism, I see it as a learning opportunity. For the kids out there, I am sure it is not directed at their skills but something to keep in mind as you develop them. Having said that I do agree with some people stating the fact that some don't mind them, it is their model after all and it's about having fun putting it together. In the other hand, if you are going to compete at a judged contest, well, you can kiss the trophy goodbye! :lol:

I believe that all of this has been covered in a previous post some time last year. A posters build level is dependent in their seriousness in the hobby. If someone wants to improve their building skills, its up to the individual poster. You, as the viewer, as per recent guide line, can pm the poster with suggestions as to how to improve their builds and if they are receptive, fine. If they don't, than live with it. They are building to their level of seriousness and that is how it is.

I can say that removing those mold seams, flash etc. is good and easy way to improve the model, you're building. Real car doesn't have mold seams or other stuff like that. It may be bit boring to smooth them out, but finished product sure is worth that.

That is not completely true, real cars have all kinds of seam lines so it is good to actually look at the car and the model, so you don't "fix" lines that are there on the 1 to 1. Sometimes the model makers do a good job of putting the kit seam lines on the same spots the real car has seem lines.

The hood on the AMT 1960 Chevrolet pickup is a perfect example, many people hide the seam line on the sides of the hood "eyebrows" but these seems are actually quite prominent on the 1-1.

Now probably 80% of the time the lines need to go, but people should be careful about this when they judge a model (either in a contest or just posted online).

This is great!

Everyone is having back-and-forth discussions on a topic, everyone is showing everyone else respect in their own opinions, this is the way the forum should operate.

If anyone, and I mean anyone, posts something that is so mindless, "trolling" or other of senseless replies that have turned so many away from this site, immediate action will be taken against the person, resulting in a complete deletion of the account, and a full ban of the associated IP's.

Everyone had a great say on this topic, except for one that I deleted, and I am proud of you guys.

Well done!

hana ho!

which is why i almost never offer criticism of a build, only approval.

the ones that have caught my eye as referenced in my opening post are NOT beginner efforts and have had wiring, etc, added...

begging the question, "why superdetail and leave seams/flash?"

That is not completely true, real cars have all kinds of seam lines so it is good to actually look at the car and the model, so you don't "fix" lines that are there on the 1 to 1. Sometimes the model makers do a good job of putting the kit seam lines on the same spots the real car has seem lines.

The hood on the AMT 1960 Chevrolet pickup is a perfect example, many people hide the seam line on the sides of the hood "eyebrows" but these seems are actually quite prominent on the 1-1.

Now probably 80% of the time the lines need to go, but people should be careful about this when they judge a model (either in a contest or just posted online).

As above.

I am presently hashing the TransAm Kammbach, the die-cast has very weak detailing under the hood. Do I leave it as manufactured or add some detail? I have put a lot of work into the body but have I gone to the point where the added detail is 'manditory' or have I only gone as far as blending it all together? I don't yet know but I bet if I don't at least add plug wires I will hear about it! The decision will be mine and anybody who thinks that more detail should have been added is welcome to take that step and I will applaud their efforts. Some people can only see the forest and others get hung up on the trees, such is life and we should not get bent out of shape about other's perceptions about what looks good.

I'm sorry, but I read this hours ago, came back and read the thread again just a bit ago, and this really sticks in my craw.

You are correct, however, IF YOU POST A MODEL HERE YOU ARE GOING TO GET A CRITIQUE BY SOMEONE. If you do good work we're gonna say atta-boy. If you have areas to improve we are going to point them out, because the idea is to GET BETTER. If you only want atta-boys, don't post here, just go show it to your mom.

This kind of comment basically states that if someone doesn't build to your standards and doesn't want to be criticized, then they shouldn't even post it here. This is a terribly elitist attitude and I find it extremely offensive. It takes courage for anyone to post something that they built for everyone to see. It doesn't matter if it's a model, a painting, a wooden chair or anything. I know because a year and a half ago, I was in an accident and could not use my hands to even hold a paintbrush. My wife got me into modeling to build my dexterity and strength. You never know what someone is going through, or whether your perceived wrongs even matter to them. Not everyone has the skills, talent, money, or even desire to build a "perfect" model. When I finally posted my pics, I was scared to death - you want people to get enjoyment from what you are sharing - not criticize you because you shared.

I used to be much more active on this forum until I saw people berated for everything from sloppy paint (when they didn't even have the cash to buy a nice thin paintbrush) to misspelling words (when they suffered brain damage in the military). I stopped coming to this site altogether because of this attitude. I finally started coming again at the request of one of the members here, but I don't post on here very much at all anymore - most of my builds are posted on other sites because everytime I start to think that things are getting better, I see posts like this one.

I'm sorry for the rant, but this has been bothering me for hours now and I had to get it off my chest.

Edited by Scottnkat

I re-read a post here, and it kind of irked me.

Under the rules for the "On The Workbench", it states:

Rules for On The Workbench For those viewing others who are presenting their works in progress in this section of the forum, please keep your criticisms, sarcasms, and other comments to yourself, unless the builder/poster has specifically asked for such replies.

Not everyone here wants to be criticized, critiqued, or cut down.

Some people just want to show off what they have built; and they are probably very proud of it.

What gives you the right to cut someone down just because you don't like the way he finished it, prepped it, painted it, or think the color is wrong?

That is not what this forum is about.

It's about sharing your work, making new friends, enjoying the hobby, and having fun.

I agree with Mr. Garner, the forum has really turned into a very hostile place, but I hope is changing.

I don't understand why people have to be like that, the only thing that comes to mind is some form of a narcissistic personality disorder.

But, that's just me, and my unrealistic and overly optimistic attitude and way of life.

I always remove parting lines, etc, but there are occasions when something like a mold pin mark, or copyright logo, etc, when removeing can result in detail loss. I will on occasion leave them. I guess it's up to each to decide is the offending goober worse, or is the loss of detail worse.