Model Cars Magazine Forum

Wire on firewall how too

I was asked to post pics on how I do molded wire on firewalls. Here is how I do it. Just thought I would throw it out there as a tutorial.

I marked the molded wires with a sharpie so you can see them.

post-9740-0-69539400-1338584817_thumb.jp

I then sanded them away with a file and 600 grit sandpaper. I then drilled a hole where the wire comes through the firewall.

post-9740-0-98297500-1338585113_thumb.jp

I then cut 4-5 pieces of black string and put through the hole I drilled.

post-9740-0-41087000-1338585180_thumb.jp

I then glued the string on the backside of the firewall with Elmer's white glue. I use this as it dries clear.

post-9740-0-29815600-1338585249_thumb.jp

I then ran the wire in the same position the molded wire was at. I used different color wire to connect to each electrical unit.

post-9740-0-53926700-1338585334_thumb.jp

Well that is it. Very simple to do and you can add any color string for the wire and also put wire to other areas of the car this way. I hope this may help someone looking to add that "finishing touch" to the engine compartment.

• 2 weeks later...

Chris, I'd been meaning to thank you for posting this tutorial in my "Need Pointers On Paint Detailing A Firewall" thread.

I had originally posted my query in 2010 and received some OK advice, but ultimately the thread died until Chris resurrected it two years later. As you can see, he knocked it out of the park. cheers2.gif

Edited by Monty