Model Cars Magazine Forum

Dick Landy 68 Charger 2nd attempt at build !

Biffo

Ok,

1st time round my build of this Revell kit went badly wrong when Slixx tail end stripe Decal went all crazy when i overcoated clear !

So while body was in the strpper!

I started to research the subject matter, and came across some features of the car that i wanted to incorperate into my build ! mainly ;-

1 Correct the hood scoop ! (kit one appears to be wrong type and to far forward)

2 Correct manifold & carb setup "

3 Most interestingly the deep sump (with steering linkage going through it !) see below !

DL_Rebel_3.jpg

Edited by Biffo

Not critising your build, no, no by far, but I gotta laugh at the hole in the oil pan.

"I just arrived home oly to discover a HUGE oil spot under my brand new (new-to-me) '68 Charger. I figured it was just a bad gasket, so I crawed under the car only to discover that my TIE ROD went straight thru to oil pan! The last owner had a poor attempt at Dick Landy's oil pan!" :lol: :lol: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :lol: :lol:

It's coming along great! You may have to notch the K-member a tad to get that pan to fit.

Edited by Mr. Moparman

Heres the finished (working) steering (tie?) rod in action ! very pleased with how it came out, even added some srapes to the oil pan bash plate !

And there is a travel limiting bolt added to each lower control arm (but virtually impossible to show in photograph)

And yes i did have to knotch the "K" member about 2 scale inches !

DSC_0113.jpg

DSC_0114.jpg

Hope you like !

Will try to get some complete car shots today if the sun ever comes out !

Edited by Biffo

Heres the finished (working) steering (tie?) rod in action......

Yes, in America, that is called the tie rod. It connects the two spindles together allowing both wheels to turn the same direction when you turn the steering wheel. The tie rod usally consists of three pieces. Two tie rod ends that connect via two bolts to the rod itself.

Edited by Mr. Moparman

And heres an engine bay shot ! with referance picture in MUSCLE CAR CHRONICLE book,

Used M,A,D distributor, carb funnels turned down (on a dremel with xacto blade) from a lindberg 64 dodge kit, and all the core support radiator decals came from the recent revell 68 specail edition ! scratchbuilt fuel lines/filters and rev limiter (on coke can bracket)

DSC_0115.jpg

And finally heres a couple of the (nearly) finished article !

Only nearly because i am going to change the rear bumper soon as the one i caved the fangs off of gets replated ! abd i need glue the hood scoop on, and to add the wiper motor, and possibly some hood pins ? (who makes good ones ? i have been looking at thin sewing needles )

DSC_0092.jpg

And from the front,,,,

DSC_0086-1.jpg

Thanks everyone, its good to know others appreciate what i have done with it !

Cant decide what to concerntrate on next now ! got 1/2 finished levi garret pro stock, frank iaconio pro stock and an s&m duster (from glue bomb ebay find) will post on here when i get into it !