Model Cars Magazine Forum

Monogram Chaparral 2D

RancheroSteve

I have always loved this model and have built a couple of them, simple but effective. this one is super nice and nice upgrades! I would put in a request for some wheels too; that would make me build a third one! I never noticed that the kit wheels were not deep enough but yours sure makes for a great look.

I think the reason for some of the simplicity was this was also, and possibly originally, a slot car body. could be wrong about that and confusing it with some other model, but I seem to remember from my childhood.

jb

I have always loved this model and have built a couple of them, simple but effective. this one is super nice and nice upgrades! I would put in a request for some wheels too; that would make me build a third one! I never noticed that the kit wheels were not deep enough but yours sure makes for a great look.

I think the reason for some of the simplicity was this was also, and possibly originally, a slot car body. could be wrong about that and confusing it with some other model, but I seem to remember from my childhood.

jb

Hi JB, my latest Historic Racing Miniatures catalog has a set of Chaparral wheels+tires (HRM-421) for $15.

They also have a set of GT40 wheels+tires (HRM-420) which may be wide enough for accuracy for $15.  I seems the Fujimi GT40 kit has narrower then preffered wheels.

Hey, thanks guys - I just noticed this got bumped up and that there are a couple of questions.

1. For the number on the back, I scanned the kit decal and made a stencil from it. Not perfect (it's hard to get it to lay down perfectly) but I think it was an improvement.

2. JB, I'll have to check and see if I have any wheels left. Good to know about the HRM wheels.

3. Yes - you're correct - this and a few of the other Monogram sports racing cars of the time did double duty as slot car bodies. The Ferrari 275P and rear-engined Scarab spring to mind. I've built both of those - they're simple curbside kits that respond to a little extra detailing - satisfying enough, especially if you're into that era of cars - I am obviously!