Model Cars Magazine Forum

Suggestion for Shipping Model Kits

I recently had two different "Wanted to Trade" posts going. I was able to trade off a lot of kits, get a lot of stuff that I was looking for, and meet some good guys in the process. Everything went smooth except one trade. One member sent me a '62 Pontiac. All he did for shipping was wrap the kit box in paper which offers absolutely no protection from postal workers whose only goal in life is to load and unload trucks as quickly as possible. In addition to that, he taped the paper to the kit box with duct tape. Needless to say, the kit was smashed to hell. And, when I did remove the paper, the duct tape tore a big part of the printing off of the box, (not that that mattered, because the box was already crushed). Sooooo, just a small piece of advice to those who didn't already figure this out, Please, when shipping a model kit, it is a good idea to put it in a cardboard box. The post office gives you the boxes and tape for free, (as long as you use Priority Mail); and wrinkled up old newspapers are a very inexpensive packing material. I have bought and sold many over the years, and have always had good luck doing it this way.

I save every box I get in the mail that I think I may be able to use in the future, as well as the packing peanuts, bubble wrap etc. I always try to pack it the way I would want to receive it.

I do the same thing! But, I normally get a new box for kits since they're free at the post office. Out of all of the kits I've bought on ebay,I only had one seller ship a kit with only paper wrapped on the box. I messaged the seller before I opened it because I knew there would be damage.The box was mangled! Just as I thought, the roof was mashed down slightly. It was repairable,but it was still something that shouldn't have happened.

I've had a couple come in just paper. Only one was SLIGHTLY damaged. It was an Aoshima Accord wagon coming from Brazil. One of the rear pillars was cleanly broke, so I fixed it and the glass was shattered. Contacted Aoshima and explained the situation and they offered to replace it for me since it was a discontinued kit and not readily available in the US.

:rolleyes:

If you have a paper shredder at home, the shredded paper makes a really good packaging material. I think it is better than crinkled newspaper as it packs down a lot better.

Once a kit box is put in a mailing box and packed in tight with shredded paper it does not move.

:) Jeff :)

I'm also a fan of shredded paper as packing material, and I reuse about 99% of the boxes/packing material I receive.

IMO the key to shipping anything even halfway fragile is crumple zones; the outer box should be slightly larger than the item you're shipping, in order to allow for some minor crushing without hurting the contents.

Guest Johnny

I reuse boxes others send kits to me in if they are good enough. I will not use a box that "just fits". I want some padding space around the model!

I mean you can go to the dollar general most any day and find small boxes for free or if you have to they habe one perfect size for a measly $1.25!

Seems pretty unanimous so far. I haven't seen anyone say that wrapping in paper is that way to go. What tick me off is that I PM'd tell him about his packaging skills and he hasn't had the decency to respond with even a "sorry my bad".

I have shipped many, many models built and unbuilt through sales on ebay and this is what I do for an unbuilt kit. I wrap it with bubble wrap and tape it. I then use a priorty box from the PO that they call the shoebox box. It is perfect for normal size model boxes. I then stuff bubble wrap in the bottom of the box, slid the kit in and add bubble wrap to the end as needed. I have never recieved a complaint and all my items arrived in good condition.

A suggestion for convertible bodies. Get a strip of cardboard about 1 inch wide and create a rectangle out of it that will fit over the windshield frame. Then take tape and tape it to the sides of the body and have the tape bend around under it and to the inside of the body. This will help insure that the buyer does not get a broken frame. I don't like it when I have spent over a hundred bucks for an original kit only to get it broken and I have to fix it! I also try to get a seller to put the body in it's own box. Some understand and will do it and some are really greedy and just don't care what kind of shape it is in when you have it in your hands. They have my money and I'm mostly SOL!

So far, I have only received one purchased kit only wrapped in paper over the kit box.

A Heller/Lee copy of Imex/Arii's 58 Cadillac convertible.

I got lucky in the box was not crushed, or mutilated in any way.

I too save all receiving boxes. Plus, I watch the Recycle bins here in town.

When I see good boxes, I take them.

Due to the quantity of kits I have, I re-enforce the kit box itself with corrugated cardboard inside,

bag loose parts, agid surround with bubble wrap/Foam sheet. layer peanuts or foam sheet/bubble-wrap.

Be advised though, The Post Office may accept paper as packing,

but UPS will VOID insurrance if paper is the packing. I asked once in a UPS shipper's office.

This same scenario happened to me recently. I PMed the guy advising that he needed to package better if he intended to trade with folks on the forum.

This has also happened to me in another hobby, Case knife collecting.

Really ticks me off when they sell you a "mint in mint box" knife,charge 6-8 bucks shipping and then ship it in a padded envelope to save shipping cost (for them) and keep the difference in the shipping charge. I Cannot tell you the number of idiots that do that and then are surprised when you file a complaint with ebay!