Model Cars Magazine Forum

Long Time Coming/Quickie 61 Galaxie

Albie D

This project was shelved a long time. After 3 failed paint jobs, it sat in the purple depths for the seemingly last time, to be stripped and put on the shelf collecting dust and contempt. A few weeks back I got a hold of some Model Masters Flamin' Orange and a little motivation to just get the ###### thing done. The patient quest for perfection was replaced with a caffeine fueled, mad 4 hour dash and here are the results.

The kit is the curbside Round 2 re-release of the Styleline 61 Galaxie. Its pretty much box stock with the exception of the reversed Astros and putty galore. The front and rear pans were molded along with the taillights, taillight surround, tag holder and door handles. Most of the trim was shaved along with the wipers and cowl. Paint is the forementioned MM Orange with black base-coat. Yep black . Doesnt show well in the pics, but gives off a cool brassy glow in the sunlight. No anal retentive sanding between coats. Hell, it doesnt even have clear! Left some of the chrome do dads on for effect. A hasty foil job completes the exterior

I slammed the thing until the tires touched the fenders. That goofy sticker in the window is hiding a crack in the glass, even the window tabs were shaved down to get a few mils lower.

Interior is brushed silver with a little detailing. Who needs gauges when your skimming the pavement...and you dont have a motor?!?

All in all , its done and looks cool enough.

Thanks for reading and checkin the pics!

DSC00104.jpg

DSC00095.jpg

DSC00083.jpg

DSC00075-1.jpg

DSC00067.jpg

DSC00073.jpgDSC00080.jpg

I've always liked this body. Can l assume the hood is molded in? l would like to do a full detail on this kit using a '60 Starliner kit. Would that be feasable? Yours turned out cool. l'd like to see it in the sun! Bart.

I've always liked this body. Can l assume the hood is molded in? l would like to do a full detail on this kit using a '60 Starliner kit. Would that be feasable? Yours turned out cool. l'd like to see it in the sun! Bart.

It can be done. The chassis/body will have to be sanded to make them fit and the screw mounts will have to be cut off of the Galaxie.

Yeah , its possible. One plus is the depth of the shutlines. The hood, trunk, and doors have nice deep recesses, just begging to be cut open. I would've (yeah right) if I could find the patience. Go for it!!