Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Straight Six community build

Chuck Most

How about a CBP based around the good old straight six?

The rules would be as follows.

1. Your project has to be powered by a straight six. (Duh...) No V-configuration or flat sixes allowed. Any inline six. Flathead, overhead, cam(s) in the block or head, none of that matters as long as all six cylinders are arranged single file front to back.

2. Yes- Slant sixes do count. And not just Mopars, Mercedes and Datsun also installed some of their sixes at a slight angle.

3. I do mean any I-6, so that means anything from a Stovebolt in a '37 Chevy coupe to a Cat turbo diesel in a Peterbilt, or what have you.

4. The vehicle you use does not need to be one which housed an inline six from the factory. Want to stuff a Supra mill into that Toyota pickup? Or a Hudson 308 into a '32 Ford? Go for it!

5. Any style is accepted. Dead-serious realistic model or something a bit more cartoony, and all points in between. (This might just be your excuse to finally build that Monogram Horn Toad or Red Baron.) Factory stock, hot rod, custom, and racing are welcome, as are any combinations of those types.

6. Beginning date will be when/if we get a few interested parties, end date will be when the fabric of time-space begins to unravel. So no deadline worries, in other words.

That should cover it all, any questions, feel free to ask. ;)

Edited by Michigan Madman

what's a CPB?

Why???

Chuck is checking for interest in doing a CBP , which is the acronym for a Community Build Project.

"How about a CBP based around the good old straight six?'

I"ll bite, Chuck!

Edited by camaroman

Anyone that's into "old Skool" rods can tell you that straight sixes are bad a##. Dual or triple carbs with a split exhaust, nothing else sounds like that. The finned aluminum dress up parts are great looking too. I have two 50 Chevy trucks that would work here. One is built as a rat rod type truck but the other is still unbuilt an if this flies I'll jump in. ?

Edited by jcbigpaw

If I didn't have so many irons in the fire already as far as CBP's go, I'd consider jumping into this one with the 1955 Chevy El Camilo project that I've had back-burnered for a few years. My line of thought on having a six in the proto-Elky is that it would have been marketed primarily as a niche vehicle for in-town boutique-type shops and high-rent suburban landscaping businesses, very much like the sedan delivery was aimed at florists and the like. Back in the day, most sedan deliveries had sixes, not V-8's. I might still do it, since there's that "Car To Pickup" CBP that's going on at the moment too. I already have one build committed for that one, a '57 Chrysler, with another possibility, a '69 Corvair.

Inspite of what a lot of people think, there are a lot of really great inline 6's out there. One of my all time favorites- 71 or 72 Datsun 240Z. Had a 72. New from the dealer $2200. Also love all the BMW 6's. My son has a 328i that runs very strong. Don't forget the E type Jag's either.

For those of you who want something different I have a variety of Ford in-line 6's available. There is the flathead 6, Ford's first OHV 6 (215, 223 & 262), the little Falcon 6 (144, 170), and the Big 300 6 (both carbed & EFI). I'm not sure how to do a link but here's the path to my Fotki account:

http://public.fotki.com/KenK/kitchen_table_resin_kits/

Come on Jim , you know you want to convert a corvair flat 6 into an air cooled straight 6 for this build ...

You know, that's been done... ;)

http://www.modelcars...=19870&hl=fugly

When I read Ian's quote, I thought there's no possible way that could be done. Then I realized that, with the Corvair's seperate 2-piece crankcase, it COULD be done, but it would be a lot of work and, really, for what reason? Then I read Chuck's comment... WITH A LINK TO ONE THAT HAS ALREADY BEEN BUILT! - and had to go check it out. Man, that's one impressive engine with the triple Webers! You know, I think Ian's right... Maybe I DO want to try one of those! I'd still have to figure out what to put it in, since I'm not into rat rods. Hmmm... Maybe if I could scrounge up one of those resin Motorama Corvair transkits that was available a while back, that would be an appropriate home for it...

When I read Ian's quote, I thought there's no possible way that could be done. Then I realized that, with the Corvair's seperate 2-piece crankcase, it COULD be done, but it would be a lot of work and, really, for what reason? Then I read Chuck's comment... WITH A LINK TO ONE THAT HAS ALREADY BEEN BUILT! - and had to go check it out. Man, that's one impressive engine with the triple Webers! You know, I think Ian's right... Maybe I DO want to try one of those! I'd still have to figure out what to put it in, since I'm not into rat rods. Hmmm... Maybe if I could scrounge up one of those resin Motorama Corvair transkits that was available a while back, that would be an appropriate home for it...

:D :D :D Come on , I am currently looking at melding two mini engines to make a V8 block that fits on a mini gearbox .... Of course you would get the itch to rework a Corvair engine for this :D