Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Straight Six community build

Chuck Most

Nice work Pat, how'd you get the paint so weathered looking?

OK, update time for mine, still no engine work though, I'm waiting on a resin copy of the Paxton Supercharger from the AMT Avanti kit from a member here. Next up are the tail lights. For some reason, the Corvette ZR-1 style tail lights were nowhere near big enough for the tail light panel in this kit. No problem, I just added a strip of .010 styrene around the edges, and they're a much better fit. I also didn't like the fact that the attachment pins made them look bad, so I drilled them out to accept more...straight pins! They'll get a dab of Clear Blue to make 'em look like the old "Blue-Dots" once it's all done!

50ChevyPU032-vi.jpg

50ChevyPU033-vi.jpg

50ChevyPU034-vi.jpg

50ChevyPU035-vi.jpg

Edited by Custom Mike

Next up is a minor body mod, I removed the filler neck for the gas tank, it was basically just a tiny stump sitting there. I'm making my own filler neck and gas cap from Aluminum tubing and a bit of sprue!

Begone tiny stump!
50ChevyPU026-vi.jpg

Big tube with little tube inside, big tube with some sprue shoved into it, ready to be cut into a cap!
50ChevyPU028-vi.jpg

The gas cap has been made, polished, and is ready to go!
50ChevyPU029-vi.jpg

Gas cap in place on the filler neck...
50ChevyPU031-vi.jpg

And the filler neck in place on the cab!

50ChevyPU027-vi.jpg

Edited by Custom Mike

Since I decided after painting the cab to add the gas filler neck and cap (Heck, after painting everything I decided to go back and get crazy with details), I needed to repaint the cab. Dupli-Color Ultra Silver base coat anyone?

50ChevyPU050-vi.jpg

50ChevyPU052-vi.jpg

And three coats of VHT Engine paint, color name is Red Fire!

50ChevyPU056-vi.jpg

50ChevyPU057-vi.jpg

50ChevyPU058-vi.jpg

Now onto a modification for the interior. This is me bringing the dash into the current century! I sanded off the kit speedometer, and dug out some PE gauge sets I had for my '32 Ford 5-Window that never got used due to time constraints. I traced the shape of the new gauge cluster on the dash, broke out the Dremel, and carefully removed enough to get the gauges flush. I had to add some filler since I screwed up a bit on the top edge, but it looks fine now, trust me!

Now if I could only find my PE radio faces, I could have some killer tunes in this baby!

50ChevyPU037-vi.jpg

50ChevyPU036-vi.jpg

50ChevyPU038-vi.jpg

Edited by Custom Mike

I had to use 'em sometime, I figured this was a good place to start. Now to find a use for the other ones on the fret....this could take years! And that color is beautiful even without polishing or a clear coat, it lays down so smooth straight from the can that I was tempted to leave it as-is and do it as a Satin paint job. But I polished up the tail light panel, and immediately knew it had to be shiny, the color pops when it's got a shine on it!

Edited by Custom Mike

Now a bit of suspension work. The kit axle melted on me after being glued, so I cut the rim attachments off. I drilled out the pumpkin, cut a piece of aluminum tubing to the proper size, and drilled some holes in it for the leaf springs. I slid the tubing through the pumpkin, epoxied the leaf springs to the new "axle", and slid my rim attachments into the ends. Now I have a new back axle!

The new back axle, I'm thinking about repainting all of the suspension and frame Black, what do ya think?
50ChevyPU064-vi.jpg

50ChevyPU065-vi.jpg

And the frame and suspension mocked-up. I'm just not feeling the Silver anymore...
50ChevyPU066-vi.jpg

A hole drilled in the frame for routing the brake line to the rear axle...
50ChevyPU102-vi.jpg

And a hole drilled in the battery box so I can get the positive side out and up to the starter.
50ChevyPU103-vi.jpg

Now onto the brake lines for the back axle. I started out by shaping a piece of sprue for my line junction, I'm getting better at making these little boogers!

50ChevyPU104-vi.jpg

Two holes drilled on the axle side...
50ChevyPU105-vi.jpg

And the block mocked-up with the line from the master cylinder side. BTW, this kit does not have a master cylinder, either that, or it got lost when this kit was removed from it's box and put in the one-gallon Ziploc bag I bought it in. Heck, I don't even have the instructions, so who knows if what I'm doing is actually correct!
50ChevyPU107-vi.jpg

And the two lines mocked-up out to the rim area, so far, so good!
50ChevyPU108-vi.jpg

50ChevyPU111-vi.jpg

Edited by Custom Mike

Note: before anyone says anything about the brake lines, Alyn has already beat you to it, and I'll correct them just this once, but on my next build I'll make the brake lines into a wild mess of lines with no rhyme or reason! :lol:

Now here's where I make Pete ( A good friend of mine over on Scale Avenue) happy, I show the seat back he sent me being put to good use...after some hacking on it!

First up tonight, a skull shifter knob! I picked this up from Scale Repro's Plus, along with a 6-cylinder distributor for this build. I hacked off the T shift knob, added a small piece of 24 gauge wire to the skill, and drilled a hole in the shifter. A dab of superglue, and it's ready to go!

50ChevyPU112-vi.jpg

50ChevyPU114-vi.jpg

Now onto the seat, I really worked hard for this part, believe me! I took some tan leather I got from Danny years ago, and started thinning it for use on the bench seat. This is where Pete came to my rescue, supplying me with a second seat back.
50ChevyPU125-vi.jpg

Elmer's Craft Bond, thinned leather, and the seat base, all ready for some work!
50ChevyPU126-vi.jpg

And the seat back Pete sent me, with it's piece of leather, waiting for it's turn!
50ChevyPU127-vi.jpg

Now the hacking on the seat back happens. To get the leather on the seat back, the arms had to be removed, which is why I needed a second seat back. I carefully removed the arms from the seat back I got with the kit so they could be re-used, then sanded the arms off of the seat back Pete sent me. I wrapped the newly bare seat back in leather, drilled two holes in each arm (And the sides of the seat back), added a pair of straight pins to each arm, and we have a leather covered seat back! I'll put some Detail Master Krome Foil on the arms later, this is just for mock-up purposes, and thanks again Pete!

50ChevyPU128-vi.jpg

50ChevyPU129-vi.jpg

50ChevyPU130-vi.jpg

50ChevyPU131-vi.jpg

Nothing simulates leather better than real leather!
50ChevyPU132-vi.jpg

Edited by Custom Mike

How about this? I designed it around 1:1 junk I've got in the basement and shop that's gathering dust and supplying nice nesting places for rodents. Datsun 240Z engine with tripple 40DCOE Weber carbs, Porsche 914 front suspension, re-pop '32 rails, Porsche 944 gearbox, clutch and torque tube, cut-down plexi windshield from a Cirrus SR-22 airplane with custom plexi side-curtains, a genni but rusty '30 Ford roadster body shell, and the busted-up glass nose from a Kurtis Indy roadster with '36 Ford headlights up high to hide the Porsche struts.......

DSCN4751.jpg

Z-motor.....

DSCN4735.jpg

Making a '30-'31 A body shell from a '32.....

DSCN3980.jpg

DSCN4069.jpg

....and working out fitment of the guts......

DSCN4071.jpg

hi Guys, hopefully back at it after a month, real life seems to get in the way, should have the vette ready for mock-up on the weekend. but in the meantime i found a old monogram 38,39 chev??? with this one i'll go for body mods, starting with a chop and channel.

post-8854-0-24169600-1345765366_thumb.jp

post-8854-0-00164300-1345765430_thumb.jp

Sounds like a lot of work Jeffery, I'll let you handle all the heavy lifting while I watch, sound like a plan? B)

Since I'm too freakin' tired to work on this tonight, I'll just post a pair of pics of the bed mocked -up. The straight pins were glued in place and the fenders were glued to the sides of the bed, the it was all slapped together for a few pics, enjoy!

50ChevyPU123-vi.jpg

50ChevyPU124-vi.jpg

Now for a bit more work on the seat! Since the upper part of the seat is visible through the rear window, I had to fill in the hole in the back side of it. I added two strips of angle stock, cut a filler from .010 sheet styrene, and got to work on thinning another piece of leather. A bit of Detail Master Krome Foil was added to the arms, then gluing them down to the seat got me ready for the new seat back to be installed. A bit of Craft Bond was sprayed on the filler piece, and now we have a completed seat!

50ChevyPU133-vi.jpg

50ChevyPU135-vi.jpg

50ChevyPU136-vi.jpg

50ChevyPU139-vi.jpg

50ChevyPU141-vi.jpg

And now just some random stuff I worked on yesterday. The filler piece at the back side of the bed has been modified to fit the new wood bed, a bit of paint later today will finish it off. Then I test fit the filler at the base of the cab, it's a good enough fit that I'll just glue it down, if I ever build another one of these, it'll be molded in. I'm not willing to chance re-painting the cab again, so I'll live with a filler panel that doesn't exist on the 1:1 truck. And finally, a pair of steering wheels, I'm leaning toward the one on the right, we'll see once I get going on the rest of the interior!

50ChevyPU142-vi.jpg

50ChevyPU143-vi.jpg

50ChevyPU144-vi.jpg

50ChevyPU145-vi.jpg

50ChevyPU146-vi.jpg

Edited by Custom Mike

OK, more work on the bed, this was a real exercise in eye-strain!

I started out with these, I picked 'em up at Hayes Hobby House...

50ChevyPU147-vi.jpg

I carefully sanded on these until they were smooth, now they look more like the carriage bolts...

50ChevyPU148-vi.jpg

A quick coat of Tamiya Gloss Aluminum...

50ChevyPU149-vi.jpg

The second set of 25, only 15 were sanded. I've got spares, since I knew I would lose a few!

50ChevyPU150-vi.jpg

And the bed, with 28 holes drilled and awaiting it's new bolts!

50ChevyPU151-vi.jpg

And putting the new bolts into the straps. I wish I could use a magnifier without feeling like I was gonna hurl, it would have made this so much easier! But it does look much better, so it was worth it!

The first set of eight in place, don't try this at home unless you have a microscope!

50ChevyPU152-vi.jpg

Another shot of the first eight...

50ChevyPU153-vi.jpg

And mocked-up with the rest of the bed...

50ChevyPU154-vi.jpg

50ChevyPU155-vi.jpg

50ChevyPU156-vi.jpg

Mike that pick-up bed looks spot on, i'm back at it, a few fill in bits a the roof will be done, took 3mm out of the guts and widened the back gaurds buy the same. now starting to think about the running gear, i'm probly going toyota or nissan i'll see what looks best.

post-8854-0-34485700-1346090917_thumb.jp

post-8854-0-95990200-1346090966_thumb.jp

Nice. Are you using bolts and washers on the underside of the bed, too?

Nah, I'll live with the fact that it's not 100% accurate. Maybe someday when I want to pull what hair I have left out, I'll buy some of the tiny bolts and washers and go all out. Yeah, right!

Aaron, jump on in, looks like a good start!

Jeffrey, looks like you've got some serious bodywork ahead of you with that one, break out the Bondo and get to it!

Edited by Custom Mike