Model Cars Magazine Forum

GMC Astro cab mods

I lowered my Astro by moving the hinges up. First I lengthened the grooves in the grill, then I found some rectangular tubing that the hinge would tightly fit into, and glued it into the slots in the grille. I didn't glue the hinge into the tubing so the cab would be removable and wouldn't fall off when tilted. I didn't make any measurements just eyeballed. Here's a pic if it helps.

IMG_3053.jpg

IMG_3006.jpg

Edited by novadose71

Does anyone know about a conversion piece to 'update" the GMC Astro to the later model grille style? it is similar to the General grille,and i have seen a few done this way on here. Aftermarket? resin?...just curious as i would like to model a kit after a 1:1 truck that i once drove.....................Thanks,Mark

I would say 1/8th inch is a good figure to use. Lowering the cab makes that kit look so much better. The other thing needing a change is the wipers. Any ideas on them ? I've always thought the grille is to thick as well ,the photo etch grilles should solve that allowing proper mounting of the bumper.

Good and timely post. I'm just getting ready to shoot color on my Titan and lowboy, and what you suggested is exactly what I am doing to lower the ride. Also am looking forward to the MUCH improved wipers and grille from Czeh Truck Modell.

thanks guys a shal try it

now just buying the white western star [reissue amt] and the roadboss ,and diamond reo and for the white freigthliner from cheh upgrade,s

and hydrolicwires and airhoses and gladhands ,and a lot of materials also from evergreen

gmc waiting for building but now building a mack b61 whit an old testor tanker and peterbild tridrive daycab whit a lowbed

hobbytable full whit parts

keep on building

jacobus