Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fujimi Enthusiast Series Kits. Still the rabbit to chase.

11 minutes ago, afx said:

I have the Tamiya kit but not the Airfix, which do you prefer Thomas?

I thought they were one and the same kit for some time, but... the Tamiya kit is different and more realistic in some details, the main one being the air intake on the side of the car. It actually has an open structure while the Airfix only has some structure to replicate the air cooler that should actually be much deeper in the intake. As the Airfix would not properly have worked with the Alitalia details I already bought some time ago (https://www.spotmodel.com/product_info.php?products_id=18260), I decided to buy the Tamiya when it was re-released some months ago. The Tamiya kit has much better wheels also. Other than that, they are very similar kits.

Edited by Tommy124

13 minutes ago, Tommy124 said:

I thought they were one and the same kit for some time, but... the Tamiya kit is different and more realistic in some details, the main one being the air intake on the side of the car. It actually has an open structure while the Airfix only has some structure to replicate the air cooler that should actually be much deeper in the intake. As the Airfix would not properly have worked with the Alitalia details I already bought some time ago (https://www.spotmodel.com/product_info.php?products_id=18260), I decided to buy the Tamiya when it was re-released some months ago. The Tamiya kits has much better wheels also. Other than that, they are very similar kits.

Thanks for the feedback Thomas.  I hope you share your project with us when you get it underway.

9 minutes ago, afx said:

Thanks for the feedback Thomas.  I hope you share your project with us when you get it underway.

You're welcome JC. I trust the Tamiya kit (hopefully) will be an uncomplicated build. It's a simple curbside kit after all. Paint the body in white, the wheels in red, maybe do some detailing in the interior. I gather the most work will be applying the decals with the use of lots of setting solution... :rolleyes:

34 minutes ago, Tommy124 said:

You're welcome JC. I trust the Tamiya kit (hopefully) will be an uncomplicated build. It's a simple curbside kit after all. Paint the body in white, the wheels in red, maybe do some detailing in the interior. I gather the most work will be applying the decals with the use of lots of setting solution... :rolleyes:

You could add an engine from the Dino kit, would want to part out an EM Stratos. :D

11 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

You know how eBay sends you emails to lure you in..... saw this and thought "it better be free shipping!"  The Enthusiast Series 356s are running around $88 on up.

eBay $1500 Porsche.jpg

That great irony of that price tag is that the reissue that came out in March of 2018.  My gawd the inflation!

FWIW the Lancia Stratos are EM"ish" kits.  They take the engine out of the EM Dino and slap it into a rather run of the mill later-tooled body and interior.  Also while they all have that Rally "look", none of them are actually rally cars, they're all street cars with rally inspired decal sheets.  Which may have started the great "tradition" of Fujimi releasing race cars that are in fact street cars with racing liveries added, without a single bit of racing gear.

5 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

none of them are actually rally cars, they're all street cars with rally inspired decal sheets.

If you want a real rally Stratos, then the Hasegawa kit is the one to get. Also boxed by Revell Germany, but beware: Revell also reboxed the old ESCI kit, which isn’t a patch on the Hasegawa. It’s kit number 07235 you’re looking for...

best,

M.

I built a Stratos - the white/red/black one.  Don't remember if it was EM or not.   I don't remember it having an engine.   Also built the Dome Zero and know it didn't have engine.  These may have a been a different series, I guess.   I liked the Stratos.   Didn't care for the Dome, really but it was cheap.  

3 hours ago, afx said:

I have both the Fujimi EM and the Hasegawa Stratos in rally form.  Haven't sat down and compared them side-by-side.  The Hasegawa is a 1-piece body and provides no engine. 

The better comparison is probably between the "EM" Stratos and the Hasegawa street Stratos Strasdale since the Fujimi kit isn't a rally car.

1 hour ago, niteowl7710 said:

The better comparison is probably between the "EM" Stratos and the Hasegawa street Stratos Strasdale since the Fujimi kit isn't a rally car.

Agreed the versions I have are not true rally spec.  However Fujimi did release "rally" versions.  I've never been successful in acquiring one of these releases to verify the content.

Boxart Lancia Stratos Chardonnet  FujimiBoxart Lancia Stratos Pirelli 08241 Fujimi

Edited by afx

On 6/13/2012 at 1:03 AM, The Creative Explorer said:

Don't forget about the Porsche 911 and the BMW 6-series, they are from the 80's and affordable and easy to find :) (in 1:1)

It is a public secret that I have a weak for the Enthusiasts and I own multiple of the same kits, just because I like them :) and I am still hunting for them, because they are unknown, I usually get them between 15 and 20 dollars each.

For the Enthusiast kits these were the series they had:

Porsche 356

Porsche 911, first generation

Porsche 911, second generation

Ferrari Dino

Ferrari 365

Ferrari GTO

LAmborghini Countach

BMW 6-series

Lancia Stratos

They did some aircraft kits as well.

5 hours ago, afx said:

Agreed the versions I have are not true rally spec.  However Fujimi did release "rally" versions.  I've never been successful in acquiring one of these releases to verify the content.

Boxart Lancia Stratos Chardonnet  FujimiBoxart Lancia Stratos Pirelli 08241 Fujimi

I have the Chardonnay one, why do you think I keep repeatedly saying these are street cars with no race car parts? :huh::lol: Well I suppose it does come with that front light pod, but it's just a piece of plastic that goes on the hood that represents the covered version shown, there aren't actual lights 

1 hour ago, niteowl7710 said:

I have the Chardonnay one, why do you think I keep repeatedly saying these are street cars with no race car parts? :huh::lol: Well I suppose it does come with that front light pod, but it's just a piece of plastic that goes on the hood that represents the covered version shown, there aren't actual lights 

Revell did the best detailed Rally Stratos I've seen back in the late 70's.

Image result for revell 1/24 lancia stratos

Image result for revell 1/24 lancia stratos

I'm 2000 miles away from my stash for 2 more weeks, so can't pull it off the shelf to photo.  I do have a couple of the Fujimi kits, the "street" red car version and the one on the right in the two photos above.

Image result for fujimi 1/24 lancia stratos

Image result for fujimi 1/24 lancia stratos

7 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

If you want to get rid of Chardonnet I'll trade you a true rally Hasegawa kit for it. :)

9 hours ago, Silver Foxx said:

I still have a few of these enthusiast kits to build .

DSCN8581.JPG

I have 6 of the ones in your photo unbuilt, plus several others such as the Stratos, Dino 246 GTS, 365 GTB coupe and spyder, BMW 635s, etc  Away from the stash for 4 more days so can't photo

• 11 months later...

Well, I've dug the 911 Rally out and trying to finish.   I apparently deconstructed it fomr some reason.  Missing a shock and half shaft.  Paint on chassis is completely wrong - black.   Not sure what I was thinkning.  But I'm going to power through and finish this thing.  Then probably put it in a case and forget it.  Doesn't fit my collection at all.   I keep thinking I'd like to build another one, but then I know that I have no reason to.   Nothing they do especially excites me for my current collection.   But they are challenging.  I still have the Fujim Daytona I built for my buddy that I refernced a page back.   He passed away before he ever got to see anything other than photos.  we were supposed to meet the weekend after the date he passed.  

I do like the rally cars and this one has been nagging at me for years.   So I want to complete it to see if I can build those bumper rails and get it in a case.  Worst case is covering it in mud and let it look like it crashed out... lol  

The EMs are challenging and rewarding when built nicely.   My caveat still applies - if you've smashed a build in the last 12 months, probably want to pass on one of these for now.  

But if anyone wants me to build one for them.... ?

I had one.  Never finished it.  I think I held myself up at the body paint.  Wanted it better than my skills at the time would allow.  Then it got scattered about - I was younger and less thoughtful.  But I remember the parts were beautiful. 

• 3 months later...