Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fujimi Enthusiast Series Kits. Still the rabbit to chase.

Having built a couple back in the 80's with wonderful results I decided to pick up a few recently and ply some hard won skills to these wonders in 1/24th scale.

I don't have pics yet [not sure a WIP will be forthcoming] but I do have several kits that I won on FleaBay. First off, if you're not into late 60's mid 80's Euro cars read no further. These kits are strictly a bunch of Supercars and hard to find gems in 1:1. BUT, if you're into high parts count renditions of some serious muscle then you are going to be a fan.

Before I go further I will address the eventual "they are fiddly to assemble" complaints. I have had ZERO problems assembling every part on these and this is when I had skills that were less than today. I'm not saying I'm some Ace builder mind you. I'm just saying I had no problems building them back when they arrived on the scene.

Now admittedly, a 1/24 scale Ferrari GTO with a 235 parts count is going to be a skill tester, but the rewards have been overwhelmingly positive for me. The parting lines are slight, the overall accuracy is to be envied by the ENTIRE industry. Think of it this way. What if Revell put out a 1/25 or 1/25th scale Ford GT or perhaps a 72 Cuda? Would you line up for one? A strictly rhetorical question naturally. Of course you would!

So it begs the question.... Why not? It seems Fujimi had NO problem beltiing these out. Last I checked there were 36 different 1/24th scale kits in the Enthusiast range. I sort of discount the 1/16th kits since they actually had lower parts counts in some instances and were of a marginally lesser quality. But certainly not boat anchors either way. I thnk they really blew their wad with the 1/24th kit and kind of coasted on that for the bigger kits. Feel free to correct me of course.

My point is this [if I actually have one].

These are still the rabbits to chace in my ever so humble opinion. But opinons are like bellybuttons, everyone has one.

Bob

You are right on it as far as i'm concerned !! I love these kits and have many of them. Mostly redheads of course, but i've had and built Porsches too !! They do try your skills, and patience and are not for the faint at heart. But for anyone up for a challenge, they're oh so worth it !!! :rolleyes:

They are deffinatly great kits that will challenge you. I built the Testors Countach 5000s back in the 80's. I loved that car but it didn't survive. I now have 7 different versions of the Countach kit and have 2 of them in the works. I also have the Porsche 356a. I must say I can't wait to build that puzzle. I say puzzle because I'm amazed that you can get 250ish parts in that little body!!

This is as far as I got on them. I have finished both chassis.

LP003.jpg

I don't have pics yet [not sure a WIP will be forthcoming] but I do have several kits that I won on FleaBay. First off, if you're not into late 60's mid 80's Euro cars read no further. These kits are strictly a bunch of Supercars and hard to find gems in 1:1.

Don't forget about the Porsche 911 and the BMW 6-series, they are from the 80's and affordable and easy to find :) (in 1:1)

It is a public secret that I have a weak for the Enthusiasts and I own multiple of the same kits, just because I like them :) and I am still hunting for them, because they are unknown, I usually get them between 15 and 20 dollars each.

For the Enthusiast kits these were the series they had:

Porsche 356

Porsche 911, first generation

Porsche 911, second generation

Ferrari Dino

Ferrari 365

Ferrari GTO

LAmborghini Countach

BMW 6-series

Lancia Stratos

I have a few of those and I love them. Yes they can be fiddly but at the end, they are the most realistic looking models. I did this baby about a year and a half ago and I enjoyed it thoroughly.

1973PorscheRallyCar13011-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

I am planning to attack this one sometime this year, hopefully......

MODELSTOCK1028-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

This is awesome Cruz, do you have a picture of the engine?

Talk about your skill-builder kits. I've built several and am generally pleased with the results. Shortly after I got back into modeling my brother gave me the BMW kit that he'd started long ago. It was very challenging to a newly minted modeler. I'm sure I could do a much better job if I were to build it again. The 356 came out rather nicely, if I do say so myself. Also taught me a lot about being patient and test fitting. I'm not all that big a fan of the whale tail Porsche, but I got it in a batch of four of these kits on eBay. I built the 1969 911 as a 912 for a friend of mine who has a real one. Probably not the most authentic replica, but he liked it. I just crammed the engine and wheels of a 356 under the 911 body and interior.

DSCN1479.jpg

DSCN1724.jpg

170-7078_IMG.jpg

BMW635_2.jpg

I had several more of the Porsche 356 kits and decided to sell them, swearing I'd never build one again. But I couldn't stay away. Now I have a couple of the 356s. It is very near the top of my list of all-time favorite cars so I can't just give up on them because the kits are so fiddly and challenging.

What if Revell put out a 1/25 or 1/25th scale Ford GT or perhaps a 72 Cuda? Would you line up for one? A strictly rhetorical question naturally. Of course you would!

No, I wouldn't. For a '77 Ford Country Squire and a '72 Fury I would though!

i have only built the 356 and even then just the motor and trans and etc mechanicals...let me tell you, it take some fiddling and test fitting and last minute re-fitting to get it to look great. looking "good" is possible right out of the box but there are fit issues lurking around every corner. dont know about the other kits though i have a few in the stash.

I love the Enthusiast kits. I've built the 365 Daytona Berlinetta...

P1010262.jpg

the Dino 246 GTB...

P1010764.jpg

and the "forgotten" Enthusiast kit- the Lancia Stratos Stradale.

P1010685.jpg

I still have a couple of Countaches, a Dino GT coupe, A Daytona Spyder, and a Porsche 356 Speedster in my stash waiting to be built!

Accurate, hard to get(some of them), and the best ones once are correctly finished...

These are some of the ones I had try to build in recent years...

Porsche RS 3.0

IM001365.jpg

IM001366.jpg

IM001368.jpg

IM001339.jpg

Simón P. Rivera Torres

Porsche 356 Speedster 1500GS

SSC_0618.jpg

CSC_1082.jpg

DSC_1286.jpg

DSC_2555-1.jpg

DSC_2567.jpg

Edited by simonr

A tip for those looking for some of these kits.Testors sold the Ferrari Dino and the Lamborghini 5000(the Walter Wolf edition) in their own boxes.Best part is that they're available cheaper than the Fujimi boxed versions-and it's the same kit!

Firts of all, thanks for your nice comments, I supposed you mean the Dino's engine hose. That ones are Detail Master regular hose clamps. You can also get around on the internet much better ones, like some of them made in china. You just have to wrap it around a smaller diameter than the one you think to use round plastic rod, toothpick, tube, etc. That will give you a better grip before apply the glue. I hope this helps.

Simón P.Rivera Torres

Oh man Simon that is beautiful ! Right down to the hose clamps ! You gotta share how you did those clamps !