Model Cars Magazine Forum

Stripping Testor's One Coat paint

I've had the best success stripping the One Coat Laquer with brake fluid (fluid NOT cleaner, cleaner will destroyer your car). None of the water based strippers like Purple Power, Super Clean, or LA's Totally Awesome have really made a dent in it. I have had moderate success with straight 91% alcohol, but it only seems to soften the paint without really removing it.

I've had good results using Purple Power. One thing I've noticed is that its best to have some of the underlying primer showing so the solution can attack that. So some light sanding in a few spots, down to primer, is a good idea. Then the paint comes off in sheets.

I tried the caustic Easy Off on a body that had only been painted a few hours with Testors One Coat Lacquer. Easy Off didn't touch it. I ended up using "acrylic top coat stripper", and had to really scramble to get it off the car before it trashed the plastic. Brake fluid did nothing to it either, by the way.

unless you have a degree in chemistry I would never mix chemicals like this.

It's really not that scary. Brake fluid lives under the hood of cars. Degreaser gets used there. Alcohol is in windshield washer fluid. If mixing these chemicals was particularly dangerous, they sure as he-- wouldn't be sold over the counter in auto parts stores. The lawyers wouldn't let it happen.

It's really not that scary. Brake fluid lives under the hood of cars. Degreaser gets used there. Alcohol is in windshield washer fluid. If mixing these chemicals was particularly dangerous, they sure as he-- wouldn't be sold over the counter in auto parts stores. The lawyers wouldn't let it happen.

It isn't the chemicals seperately it is when you mix chemicals when there could be a reaction . I mostly just posted that in case some of our younger modelers happened to think that mixing any chemicals is a good idea . it isn't .

Edited by randx0